Friday, October 22, 2010

harvest

Just a quick blog update to report the harvest from my upside-down tomato planter. Since this weekend is expected to be our first major Seattle cold snap, it was time to be done with the summertime hanging garden.

I was thrilled I had all these budding little tomatoes.... too bad they didn't have time to ripen. I noticed, probably early last week, that ONE was getting red -- wow! YAY! And then when I went to pick them all, it was gone! What? I was shocked. The only explanation was that it ripened and fell off! I went down to the ground level of our building (we live on the third floor, and our hanging planter is over the side of our balcony), and I found it on the someone's patio! I snatched it up and brought it upstairs and ate it. Yum.

Then I picked all the green ones off the monstrous plant.


But what to do with all these green buggers? No sweat; I'd had lots of friends recommend recipes like green tomato pie (seriously), green tomato pasta, and green tomato salsa.

For your visual enjoyment, here is the fruits of my labor... one batch of green tomato salsa which went on some marinated chicken, served with broccoli and sweet potatoes last night. I feel all grown up. Shane loved the salsa. It had jalapeno in it and I don't know what possessed me to do that. I touched my nose and it burned for hours.


But it was great. Nice healthy dinner, right? I feel good. I'm excited to try it again next year (and earlier, for sure).

Tomorrow's food adventure? Canning 25 pounds of apples...

1 comment:

Rose said...

I love that you went to fetch your tomato! I bet it was totally worth it. :) If you leave the green ones out in your kitchen, they'll ripen. Of course, they taste better ripened on the vine, but counter-top ripened ones from the garden aren't too bad either.

Yum... 25 pounds of apples! My favorite result from canning apples is apple pie filling. Just dump it in a pie crust and VOILA!!! Yum yum.