Monday, September 5, 2011

adventures in play doh

We don't do a lot of art projects in this house, and we really should. I am trying to be better. I have some paints I want to buy Wesley for Christmas (already thinking about it!!), and I'm trying to do more coloring and creating.

Our main medium: Play-doh.





However, our play-doh activities consist mainly of Wesley squishing it, ripping it, putting it in his hair, dropping it on the floor, and then commanding ME to make stuff. Like such:



I am pretty darn good if I have a model. I've made airplanes and turtles and "big buildings" and who knows what else.

This week, Wesley was bossing me around, as usual, and somehow it came up that I would make a temple. I'm not sure if I suggested it, or he did, but I decided to take the challenge.

The cutest part was that we had purple, blue, and yellow play-doh out, and I asked Wesley if the temple should be purple, blue, or yellow. He just looked at me and ever so sweetly said, "Mommy, temple is white."

How cute is that!?!?!?! Luckily we have white play-doh, so I went to work. I used a magazine for inspiration, and I did pretty well if I do say so myself. Check out my little Moronis. Wesley would pick them off, show them to me, and accidentally squish them. Yeah.

Cochabamba, Bolivia:






Bern, Switzerland:






Panama City, Panama:






There you go! True adventures in play-doh! Wesley asked for Salt Lake City but I balked. Too many spires! I think this is hilarious so we'll probably do more. You can submit your own challenges for me :-) Or do some yourself!

3 comments:

KG said...

very cute! He learns things by watching you so keep it up! Though I have gotten to the point where I don't get involved in their creativity anymore because it's the same thing. I always have to make everything and I want them to make things on their own! But my boys are bigger and can do more than rip and squish.

In fact, Jeriah almost glued about 5 toys together today just to make a submarine that in his mind would take him underwater. He just needed us to go buy a few more things, like metal, plastic, wood, and a motor. Ha! Just you wait until Wesley is older. He might not stop creating and you won't be able to keep up!

Daddio said...

I'd bet you could make "temples" using nothing but marshmallows! Then you could "eat" your edifices.

Nancy Wheeler said...

We banned Play-doh in our house because the kids couldn't keep it on the table. I got so tired of scraping dried bits out of the carpet. ;-)

I agree with the comment about marshmallows. In fact, I thought your creations looked like they were made out of them.

Speaking of marshmallows, try building things out of mini marshmallows and toothpicks. Loads of fun!