Friday, January 25, 2013

what parenthood really means

Tonight we had to break into our own house.



Wesley has this new fascination with, simply, being ornery. He likes to turn lights on and off. He likes to knock things off countertops. He likes to lock doors that shouldn't be locked. Sigh.

We all went as a family to this preschool dinner, and Shane took his keys to my car. His house keys are on his keyring for his car. My house keys were inside. And on our way out, Wesley locked the door behind us.

He's 4. Stuff like this is bound to happen. But it's still excruciatingly frustrating.

So, we sat there in the garage, kinda cold, debating what to do. Wesley couldn't understand why we couldn't just go in the front door. Gabby was whining because she too wanted to go inside. Laurel was really tired. It was a tense few minutes. I would have um, tried to open the door with a credit card. Shane instead knocked it down after two really big, scary kicks. Wow, what a strong guy. (Reacting to the tense few minutes, no doubt.)

After some stern words (we really tried not to yell), Wesley went straight to bed.

Amazingly, Shane was able to cobble the door back together. I think it looks great! You'd never be able to tell it was destroyed! I think we are going to give a key to a neighbor. Shane doesn't want to hide one in the yard.

In Laurel news, we are finally walking more than we care crawling around here. Sigh. I miss my helpless baby already. Although she does like it when I hold her as she falls asleep.... ahh she's so sweet.


Those are my latest adventures in parenthood. I tell the truth. My daughter walks and my son is pursuing a career in home security.

5 comments:

Daddio said...

By all means, HIDE one outside!! You know we have had one hid outside for years.

Or install a digital keypad type lock.

Leslie said...

Sounds like to me Wesley didn't do anything wrong. Wern't you the ones who forgot your house keys? Or am I not understanding? It stinks to have a kid who is too smart for their own good sometimes! We have that problem with ruby. For me, my biggest problem as a parent is being prepared (diaper bag stocked, dot forget to pack more wipes, etc) and anticipating rubys next move. I feel like her brain works 100 miles an hour!!!

Leslie said...

Parentin is no joke! Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into!!!

Janelle said...

So you were in your garage, and couldn't get into the house from inside the garage? I'm not sure of the geography of your property, so I'm a little confused. But if that's the case, just hide a key in the garage! We have one there, even though we have a detached garage. My parents keep a key in their garage. Lots easier.

angelalois said...

To clarify, yup, we have an attached garage with a door that locks to the house. We are in the habit of never locking that door, so we had no expectation that our house keys would be needed. When Wesley locked that door, we were in complete trouble. We do need to hide a key in the garage -- I think we will!