Wednesday, September 11, 2013

first day of school

Wesley's first day of kindergarten at Picnic Point Elementary was last Wednesday, September 4. Well, that day we only went for a half hour -- I went too -- and we had a short little orientation. I luckily had a friend I dropped Laurel off with. We went on a "treasure hunt" around the classroom, he got his picture taken, he got a treat, we dropped off the supplies we purchased, we met the teacher, etc. It was a nice little visit. He was really interested in the math table and the bathroom which has a stoplight -- you change it to STOP when you're inside and back to GO when you come out. Haha. 

The next day, Thursday, September 5, we caught the school bus and Wesley attended his first full half-day of kindergarten. He picked out his own clothes, and it rained like crazy so he got to wear his flame boots. He was in a great mood.


My heart was pounding as we walked to the bus stop. Shane suggested I devise a back-up plan in case Wesley refused to get on the bus, but luckily we'd talked about it lots and lots and he had no hesitations. He got right on the bus and then waved at me from the window. The bus driver told me some things (like her name is Suzanne) and then the bus took off. I looked at him again, hoping for another wave, but he had found something else to look at. Another kid? The bus in general? Another window? My little boy drove away with him not even looking wistfully at me.

I walked home, with my sweet Laurel's hand in mine, and sorta cried. I felt the tears coming, I'm not sure if they did. I remember being really sad. Then I got stuff DONE for 3 hours and that felt awesome. (Toddler naps + afternoon kindergarten = very productive mommy.) 

  
 
  
  

And that's our story! So far here is what I have heard:
  • First day: "I was picking my boogies and Ms. Rimstad told me not to."
  • Second day: "We ate gingerbread cookies!"
  • Yesterday: "We went outside!"

And he has also randomly been singing this song about the days of the week, super cute but I've never heard it before, and he told me they sing that song in kindergarten! AWESOME! He's learning stuff! 

The craziest part is our last hurrah of summer was a trip to the Space Needle on Tuesday where he could pick out a Space Needle keychain for his backpack. (We also bought Space Noodles -- pasta! -- a little Space Needle figurine which he broke in half in 3 hours flat, a chocolate Space Needle, Space Needle stickers, etc. It was great fun.) Out of the zillions of keychains there he picked out his favorite (which happened to be the least expensive, lucky me!), and he was so very happy.... and between Tuesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon, the keychain is GONE. We can't find it anywhere. I cleaned and vacuumed the whole downstairs, I have no idea where that thing is. Oh well, maybe it will show up. It's got to. It's for his backpack! 

I read the School District paraphernalia later that day and was just struck by the gravity of what has commenced. This is my child's EDUCATION. He turns into a living, breathing, thinking, little person, and the next 13 years are a big freaking deal. I hope it goes well and I hope he loves learning. I find myself praying a lot and really asking God to step in. 

Here we go!

No comments: