Wednesday, September 24, 2014

the bathing suit

In my house growing up, when we were done with clothes, or anything for that matter, they went in the attic -- not to Goodwill or a swap meet or DI. The attic was out of sight, out of mind. I suppose in reality that's a bad thing (as in Mom is making a goal to clean out the attic in the next year -- very daunting!), but in some respects it's a good thing. Lots of my childhood has been preserved. Every once in awhile when I'm home I'll go through boxes of baby clothes to find things that might be usable. I've taken plenty of shirts and pants for Wesley, and sometimes I stumble upon cute things for Laurel. Plus, I've brought home lots of my toys and things from my kid years, which I'm thrilled to have. (An electronic keyboard! A globe -- which survived the cross-country trip in the suitcase! Legos! Barbies! My Little Ponies! And MORE!)

Today's case study is this adorable swim suit. These pictures are from LAST year, Summer 2013. I suppose I should be all shy about bathing suit photos of myself, but whatever, I don't care. For your enjoyment...


 
  





And then, when I was home in Maryland, I found and scanned this. Circa 1981?


How amazing. Mom, I'm glad you kept some stuff. I'm rethinking my urgency to get rid of everything kid-related. My friend Janet says she bought a big bin, and each kid gets exactly one bin full of stuff (clothes, toys), etc., to take when they get older -- mementos of childhood. I like that idea. I mourn all the baby clothes that have already been given away.

My Laurel looks like me! So bald!

No comments: