Tuesday, December 12, 2017

#christmas2017: advent days 10, 11, and 12

The saga continues!! Christmas is on its way, yes. BUT FIRST. We have another special day to get through.

Day 10

Day 10 was a bust. The kids were with their dad and we were supposed to make cookies... but it didn't happen. That's OK. I can be flexible.

Day 11

Go to a Christmas party. The single adults held a big Christmas FHE event, with a dinner and ugly sweater contest. Last year it was a huge event... this year the attendance was much more sparse. The potluck was pretty rough. I had turkey, baby carrots, and a rice krispie treat. They added a kids room which was awesome; they watched Rudolph and Laurel got to color to her heart's content. I wore a sweater that lights up... haha... I didn't even take any pictures. We left before it was over so the kids could get some sleep. I knew tomorrow would be a big day....

Day 12

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAUREL!!!!! Oh my gosh. I cannot stress enough how much I LOVE this girl. I LOVE HER.

The day started at the elementary school. I brought 24 brightly frosted crossover Christmas birthday cupcakes. I passed them out to a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds who ate them at a snail's pace, but were completely delighted.

They were also messy. Very messy.


I got evil eyes from the teacher and she told the class everyone needed to wash hands and faces before they could return to class. I was volun-told to stay and help. You better believe it was worth it. I love Laurel's little class and by golly it was her birthday and they can eat cupcakes. Word on the street is they said her name over the announcements too!

After school we went to BUILD-A-BEAR! Where once again we did not build any bears. I guess bears are not the animal of choice for my children. Shane joined us, which was nice.


Laurel was so excited about Rainbow Dash, a My Little Pony character.


She stuffed her, started her heart, brushed her, and named her.


Wesley went home with a black cat. He's thrilled. I thought I was a nice mom to buy him an animal, too. Secret was, it was on sale.


Build-A-Bear has a Nice List and the kids added their names. Oh children.


Next stop... Little Caesars for pizza and breadsticks. I took the upsell suggestion and added root beer for $1.


PRESENTS. She made herself a "throne" to sit on. I offered to hide the presents, like we did when I was a kid growing up, but she elected not to. She had seven gifts I think, 5 wrapped from me, 1 wrapped from Shane, and a big one in an envelope....


She received some pants, a Frozen Lego set, Qwirkle (fun game!)....


A coloring/art set from me, a My Little Pony coloring/activity book (nice job, Dad!)....


A My Little Pony Rainbow Dash sweater/jacket...


And then a scavenger hunt!!! I had SUCH a blast putting this together this afternoon. Want to hear all my clues?




Happy birthday my beautiful girl
You’re the sweetest Laurel in all the world!
There is a BIG present hiding for you
And to find it, you must read all these clues.
First, go up the stairs right to your bed
Find something warm and cozy for your head
There’s another clue waiting there
Read it yourself, you don’t have to share!

You found it! Another clue!
Hello Kitty was holding it for you.
Your next stop is near front door
There’s this button we can’t ignore.
When someone visits, they give it a push
It makes a noise, and then we rush
We open the door and let them in
It’s really nice to see our friends.

You were right! The doorbell is great
Although the next stop you may hate.
Sometimes this room gets really stinky
A clue there? What was I thinking?
Yes, it’s where we poop and pee…
But oh! In our house we have three!
Go to the stinky room that’s BLUE.
And look up high for your next clue.
   
You found the clue up on the mirror!
Nice job! Your path is getting clearer.
Just a few more clues remain
Your next stop is near our games.
There’s a whole shelf with DVDs
And I’m thinking of just one, you see
What’s the movie with Joy, Fear, Disgust
And Anger and Sadness – find it, you must!

You did it! You found the Inside Out movie!
This is your last clue, are you ready?
Your birthday present is so big and great
You probably are so excited you can’t wait.
Where do we keep our sleeping bags and grill
And trash cans, lawnmower, and mom’s treadmill
There are helmets and sand toys, and a ladder so tall
And your birthday present! Go see it all!

She anxiously awaits as the last clue is read...


And heads to the garage!!! A new BIKE! She had totally outgrown the last one. I don't even think this one will last that long! Wesley's current bike is the next level up, so she'll use that one if this one gets too small. Wesley is strictly a scooter-user himself.


Last... cake and ice cream. She asked for a cat cake. I was happy to oblige. I baked it from scratch but the frosting is from a can. (My rule of thumb is one thing is easy, one thing is hard... haha... but never both hard.)

The lines of the face are shaky at best, but whatever, we just eat it. And she was thrilled.


Wesley helped her count 6 candles...



Oh my gosh. She is so beautiful. This is what pure joy looks like. I LOVE her laugh and her smile. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She is so wonderful and I love being her mother.


Proof I was there! We are a happy family? Haha. It was a nice day.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAUREL!! Oh man I love her. Oh, here is her 6-year quiz.... some silly answers for sure.

1. What is your favorite color?  Blue, red, pink, purple, and I don’t know if there’s any more
2. What is your favorite toy?   Rainbow Dash (new Build A Bear)
3. What is your favorite fruit?   kiwi
4. What is your favorite tv show?   My Little Pony
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch?   pizza  (mom edit: I don't know about this)
6. What is your favorite outfit?   My “Check Your Cattitude” shirt
7. What is your favorite game?   Quirkle  (mom edit:  I think she likes Sleeping Queens more)
8. What is your favorite snack?   Apples with peanut butter and chocolate chips
9. What is your favorite animal?   Cat
10. What is your favorite song?  Africa by Toto
11. What is your favorite book?  Pete the Cat
12. Who is your best friend?   Sofie
13. What is your favorite cereal?   Lucky Charms
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside?  Play
15. What is your favorite drink?   Root beer float  (mom edit: My guess would have been eggnog)
16. What is your favorite holiday?   Christmas
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night?  Cat stuffed animals  (Mom edit: Yeah. Like a dozen of them)
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?   Chocolate oatmeal
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday?   Little Caesars pizza
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?   A cat

One last thing. At the mall tonight as we walked to Build-A-Bear, and man held the door open for us. She whispered to me, "Mommy, that man lighted the world." This Light the World thing is sinking in. It is helping my kids see good things they can do for others, and recognizing the good things people do to us. It was just so sweet, and it shows her heart. Laurel is a light in this world. Happy birthday, my baby girl. You are six.

No comments: