Friday, December 26, 2008

theories on politics and parenting

I've been working on this post for a long time in my head. Just be forewarned that there are many generalizations here, and I don't mean to offend, so please just hear me out and if you want to comment then great. At least I'll get you thinking, right? Loyal followers, today we are going to talk about politics and parenting.

First, politics. Here are our nation's political parties as I choose to generalize them:

  • Democratic: The government takes care of the people. You pay your taxes, and in return, the government makes sure your needs are met. Social programs like welfare, Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, etc., are important. The Democratic party is, arguably, the more "charitable" party when it comes to funding programs for the needy. The government should ensure your quality of life.

  • Republican: You take care of yourself. You pay taxes because you must, but you don't necessarily trust the government to be there for you. Predominantly agricultural states tend to be more Republican (taking care of yourself, growing your own food), Republicans are more likely to support, say, individual retirement accounts as opposed to Social Security (funding your own retirement), and I'd argue Republicans more passionately support educational programs that "teach a man to fish," instead of just funding a solution to his problem (education programs for homeless vs. tent cities, and the like).
OK. Now, parenting:

  • Attachment Parenting (AP): The parent takes care of the baby -- literally. The baby is not permitted to cry, ever, indefinitely, because crying means the infant feels "abandoned" by the parents. The parent always soothes the baby, and co-sleeping is common. Advocates argue AP creates feelings of security in the child.

  • Common Parenting: The child, when able, learns to take care of himself. The baby can learn to soothe himself to sleep, generally by needing to "cry it out" to figure out how to do so. Baby often sleeps in his crib. (I found this site that outlines the "opposite" to AP as the Babywise method, some of which I don't necessarily agree with, but if you're interested in more of the differences this is a good place to look.)

I was thinking about this a couple nights ago as I sat on our futon in Wesley's room, talking to him sweetly as he cried and cried and cried himself to sleep. I didn't want to leave him, but I knew that eventually he'd have to learn to put himself to sleep. The book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child argues that sleep is an individual thing; I can't sleep for you, you can't sleep for me. A baby must sleep for himself.

As I sat there in the dark, my little heart breaking as Wesley cried, I thought to myself, "Wesley, you need to learn to do this. I can't do this for you." I know he is at the age where he can physically put himself to sleep. I believe it. All the books say it. So, I have to give him the opportunity to try it. To figure it out for himself. If I don't, I'm robbing him of an opportunity for growth, or even, an opportunity to fail (and learn from it). I couldn't help but think that my views were so very "teach a man to fish"... trying to give my son that opportunity to grow, even though it was painful (for both of us), and it would have been easier if I had just picked him up and rocked him for 20 minutes.

AP advocates argue, however, that a baby shouldn't be permitted to cry, under any circumstances. The parent, in all cases, needs to rush to the baby's side and "solve the problem." Soothe the baby to sleep at all times. Stop the car if the baby cries. Breastfeed for years. Offer the "family bed" as an alternative to a "cold, lonely" crib.

I have some friends who are staunch "AP believers," and they totally drive me crazy. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this runs along political party lines (which would make sense, seeing as how Washington is extremely "blue"). If you lean more liberal and Democratic, you buy into the AP thing -- you rush to the aid of your child and take care of everything, like the government is expected to be a firm hand in the care of the country. If you're more conservative or Republican, you support what I would argue are more "traditional" or common methods of parenting (babies sleep in cribs; they use pacifiers; they cry sometimes), like government doesn't need to be this big entity controlling every aspect of everyone's lives.

Here are some other things to consider:

  • AP outlines that the parents need to adjust to the baby's schedule, and baby is in control of feeding, sleeping, etc. I would argue otherwise and say there is a big world out there that was already in operation when the baby was born, and the baby should (not at first, mind you, but eventually) learn to adjust to it. If not, in a couple years what you'll have is one surprised (and spoiled rotten) kid who finally figures out he isn't the center of the universe.

  • Maybe this is a family thing? Some of the AP advocates I know talk about co-sleeping with their parents until they were five, etc., which explains their being passionate about the practice. I slept in a crib; in fact, my folks have told me they let me cry it out. I feel pretty normal, and I don't hate them for it, nor have I ever felt abandoned or insecure.

  • Baby goes to sleep at 7:30 pm, right? So, if you have a "family bed," you're going to leave your baby in bed while you go back to the dinner table or your blogs or your nightly chores? In the short period of time Wesley was sort-of sleeping with us, Shane forbid us to leave the room. You never know when baby's first "roll over" is going to be. Wouldn't you feel awful if it was off the bed, when you thought he was sleeping? And now that Wesley rolls over constantly, leaving him alone on the bed is absolutely out of the question.

  • I feel intense pressure around AP followers to continue breastfeeding. Yes, it's healthy for my baby and I don't mind doing it for that reason (and avoiding the co$t of formula), but I wouldn't say I'm doing it for the "emotional" aspect of it. Sure, it's a nice way to bond with the baby, but I feel like I bond more with him when we're playing or I'm making him laugh. I often feel intense scrutiny that Wesley uses a pacifier. My AP friends argue that for their babies, "all sucking needs are at the breast," and since Wesley is a skinny little dude, all of a sudden I am a bad mother for starving my baby by giving him a pacifier so he can sleep in his crib instead of on my boob all night in the same bed.

  • (And, to further badger the point across that I am anti co-sleeping, Wesley has teeth now and our pediatrician even encouraged me to wean him off night feedings since the sugars on his teeth are at their worst at night. A baby with teeth on mom's boob all night, I'd argue, would have the same issues as a baby with baby bottle syndrome. None of my AP-crazy friends' babies have teeth yet.)

  • Wesley is such a good baby, but he cries in the car sometimes and I tell him, "Wesley, you're all right. You're fine." Eventually -- 5 minutes? at the most? -- he calms himself down and either falls asleep or looks out the window or whatever. He's fine. My AP friends stop the car and jump in the back and coddle their babies at the first whimper. Are you kidding me? A little fussing won't kill anyone. I look at it this way: Wesley's only way to communicate with me right now is by crying. When he is 10, he'll be able to talk. Right now, we go somewhere in the car and he's bored so he cries. When he's 10, we'll go somewhere in the car and he'll tell me he's bored, probably with a million "are we there yet?" and "how much longer?" statements. In either case, it's communication and totally normal. I'm not going to stop the car. He is fine. His needs are met.

  • I heard once that a weak mother does everything herself, meaning, it's so much easier for a mother to do the laundry herself or clean up the house herself. The strong mother is the one that outlines chores for her child and teaches her child how to be self sufficient, even though it is painstakingly difficult sometimes. Sometimes I feel like that is the difference between the AP moms, who want to solve the problem themselves, and we other moms, who want to give our kids the opportunity to figure it out on their own. Even if it means there will be crying.

  • I could go on for days.

This, to me, seems so "big government" (hyper-involved parents) vs. small government ("stand-back-and-see-what-he'll-do" parenting).

I must chime in with one exception, and that is that one of my good friends follows AP, but not by choice. She had a very very colicky baby and could not get him to sleep without her. He still sleeps with her. I know she'd put him in his crib, if she could. I know she'd give him more bottles, if she could. He's very very fussy. So, you do what you need to do to take care of your baby. I believe Wesley is well taken care of, and he is extremely loved and doted over. But he has cried himself to sleep, and that doesn't mean I love him any less (or that my pro-AP friends love their babies more).

And I guess the truth is, AP followers and myself, we both have the best intentions for our babies. We all have our struggles, and we're just trying to make our way through, doing what we think is best. I firmly believe that, even though I get confused sometimes at AP thinking.

So, now the day of reckoning for me: What do YOU think? Did you come from a co-sleeping family and do you vote liberal? Do you let your kids cry-it-out and grow their own tomatoes? Or, are you totally on opposite ends of the spectrum -- and how do you explain that?

P.S. As a final exclamation point that I think I'm faring well as a parent, Wesley has learned to soothe himself to sleep. My Christmas gift was a 13-hour stretch of him sleeping. I am sure that at various points in that 13 hours he woke up but was then able to soothe himself back to sleep in his crib without crying or needing me to come in and "save him." I couldn't be more thrilled. Bedtime is much better for us every night. We play and laugh and cuddle, and he goes right to sleep. Wow.

9 comments:

Corey said...

I totally agree! My sister-in-law is such an AP mom. It's so annoying and makes her kid annoying as well. She can't even get a babysitter since at 2 years old he's so clingy. She nurses him all the time and he won't eat much real food. When she offers him water it's from this boob-like-cup-thingy, it's disgusting! I can't imagine having to take that around in public! Come on give me a break! Not for me thanks! I agree that kids need to learn to sleep on their own in their own beds and pacifiers are a blessed thing. Congrats on sleep-training Wesley! I hope he keeps it up for you and that you all get many nights of sweet dreams!

angelalois said...

Thanks for the comment Corey! I realized as I wrote this, I really have no idea what school of thought most of my regular blog readers subscribe to. As for the separation anxiety, I think a lot of it can be baby temperament, but I also can't help but think that AP would fuel "attached" children. Which would make going out on a date with hubby difficult.

KG said...

I am a Babywise mom, and a lot of what is out there on the internet about this philosophy, I'm convinced, is from the AP moms. They think Babywise is abusive, that the author tells moms to let their babies cry even when they are hungry, to not pay any attention to their baby's needs and just force the baby to go with mom's schedule. When I see that people are writing that, I think they haven't read the book, or they heard about it from someone else. I have to agree with you, that AP parenting is something that can create insecure and overly attached children, though if it works in some families, then hey, more power to them. Both my boys slept through the night, which in my book means 8-10 hours, by the time they were at least 4 mos old. Now, they both sleep 13 hours a night, sometimes more. And they take their naps during the day. I need my sleep too, and our house is a much happier place than it would be otherwise. I'm also a Republican, so maybe what you say is true. I'm of the mind that people need to be self sufficient, and I grew up that way. My mom would send me to my room when I'd been bad and let me scream and cry at her for however long it took for me to realize she wasn't coming to check on me and then work it out on my own. Now, I'm grateful to her for doing that. I learned a lot on my own that way, and the lessons I learned went deep, because I figured it out. No one solved my problem for me.

I think we need to give our kids as much of their own power as we can, which means we teach them how to take care of themselves so they don't have to rely on others to make them happy. Of course, kids are kids and need parents for a reason. So, these lessons need to be learned over years. Not right away of course. I love my children immensely, and it makes sense to me to parent this way, the "grow your own tomatoes" way.

Thanks for posting this. I feel strongly about these things too, and get confused when it seems mothers are gladly being martyrs for their children. I have seen it go so far that the mom was even saying that their child "needed her" after every single whine and cry. The little girl was 7! Mom hadn't ever gotten a good night's sleep since this child was born. I felt so sad for her. All I thought about this mom was that she had this immense need to be "needed" and created a child who, in her mind, would always have to rely on her. So sad.

And good for you on getting Wesley to sleep at night!! It sure is wonderful when you are able to sleep all night without concern of your kid waking up and needing you. You know he is perfectly fine, and is happier for it too. Sorry about my long, and probably preachy, comment. I hope I don't offend anyone. I know that every house is different, and whatever works in my family might not work in other families. I just know what works in mine, and I like to share my views in hopes that it might make sense to someone and I can help.

I also think you are brave for posting this. Parenting and politics are sensitive subjects, and I hope your friends respect that you had enough courage to speak your mind, even if it is against how they feel about these subjects... and even if they feel the same way.

angelalois said...

Thanks Ko... like you said, everyone does what is best for their families. I appreciate your thoughts. I don't know if I'm 100% brave, since some of the crazy-AP moms I know don't read my blog! I'd be afraid to let them! But hey, it's my blog right, I can say what I want -- and they can post funny things about me on their blogs!

Unknown said...

You are an awesome mom! It's reassuring to me to read your blog because I had very similar feelings with my first child, Aaron. It's also great to know that I have forgotten some of those feelings that I once had. Now with Benjamin it's a different story. I understand myself as a mom much more and I am proud to say that I am happy with my children too! I love what you wrote and thanks for sharing!

Danielle said...

Interesting post. I will start by saying that we Andersons swing rather liberal BUT are strongly opposed to AP parenting so maybe that throws your theory out the window slightly. ;)
I am all for creating independence because after all, I can't follow my kid to college, or even kindergarten. It's hard to feel like I am out-moded as the mommy sometimes, but I know it is for the best and that I will be so much more proud of my son if he can navigate the world confidently on his own.
As for breast-feeding, well, I did the full year for the health benefits to baby and because I found it to be an excellent weight-loss program for me. I never found it to be a very bonding experience because Nathan was a thrasher, mostly it was a wrestling match. I wouldn't do it any other way (meaning I wouldn't wean to formula before a year), but I wouldn't do it longer either. I was done. I can't imagine having a kid in bed nursing all night long - ew gross!
Isn't that a great sleep book? I'm glad it's working for you. Makes you take a big sigh of relief when it finally starts working, doesn't it?

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Oh, I'm with you, Angela, and I'm sure you get more of that sort of crazy thinking in your face since you live in Hippy Land. I don't see that quite as much out here in Republican Land. Of course a mutual friend of ours who now lives in Utah is a HUGE proponant of things like AP, long-term nursing etc. Email me if you can't quite place who and want to read her blog. Fun stuff. I breastfed Emily Lara for a full year and hope to do the same with little Maran but I, too, can't imagine going much longer than that. There aren't any health benefits for that and it seems to prolong babyhood in an unhealthy way, to me. Weaning is part of growing up and it isn't mean, it's just one of those baby steps towards being a healthy adult.

I think my favorite example of long-term nursing is the lady (I think it was on Oprah) that was nursing her 7 yr old, 4 yr old and 1 yr old. Apparently the 7 yr old had weaned herself at around 4 or 5 but then "unweaned" when the baby was born. "Unweaned?" you say? Well, she saw the baby nursing and wanted to do it again so the lady re-taught her how to nurse and let her join in the fun. Apparently she wasn't totally hot on the idea but didn't know how to say no to the 7 yr old without violating her idea of letting the children self-wean. Oprah's comment? "You couldn't just say no? Or that it is special food for babies?"

Ok. Enough ranting. Must go eat dinner. And there's my baby crying for food too! (speaking of breastfeeding)

Andrea said...

Thanks for an interesting and well thought out post. My parenting philosophy is along the same lines as yours. I believe it is so important to foster age appropriate independence from the beginning. This is just be my intolerant attitude shining through, but AP style irritates me to no end.

momnmb said...

Good post Angela! I totally agree with you. You of course know I am a conservative too. I breastfed my oldest and youngest only about three months. They didn't like it, probably because they didn't like what I was eating. But Megan made it a whole year. I felt like her pacifier, and she ended up in bed with us many nights, simply because I was sooo exhausted! Nick quit taking naps after Megan was born. I had to try to sleep as much as possible!
I am definitely a "grown your own" parent, but I am probably (As Nick would agree) a bit overprotective- I definitely need to say yes more often. But I also demand that my kids earn their privileges, (Nick keeps reminding me that he is "almost 16" now and should be allowed to do almost anything now). I want to say yes more, but I also want them to do their part and be accountable for their choices.
I think my kids have been well served by being able to learn to take care of themselves. Now if they would just remember what a garbage can is for!