Monday, December 29, 2008

six things you maybe didn't know

Like 10 years ago Wandering Nana tagged me to divulge six of my quirks. I know I'm quirky (aren't we all?), but I had a hard time coming up with the list! I guess it's all so normal to me.

To put a twist on things, I'll give you three of my current and interesting quirks, and three quirks that sadly I've given up, either by time, because of my husband, or who knows.

Current quirks:

  1. I have to know what time it is if I wake up in the middle of the night. Whenever we go camping, I need a watch right by my head in the event I wake up. When my dearest alarm clock (I had had since I was 12) finally went kaput this year, Shane was nice enough to let me put his alarm clock on my night stand because I just couldn't handle it. Then I finally got a new one. I do miss that old alarm clock, though.

  2. I love things that match and matching sets. In fact, I am 100% more likely to buy something in the store if it comes in a set or you get three of them or whatever. For example, I'd never buy just one baby onesie. But, if it came with say, a pair of pants and a bib (for a reasonable extension of the price, or the same low price!), I'd totally buy it. Another example: my new obsession is earring and necklace jewelry sets. In fact, I lost an earring to a set I bought a couple years ago, so I went out and bought new earrings to match the necklace so I could have a complete set again. Basically, if it's a pair of pants with a free belt, a calendar with free stickers, a Listerine with a free travel-sized bottle, etc., I'm totally buying it!

  3. Lastly, I'm obsessed with reading the newspaper. All of the newspaper. If I miss a day, it sits around the house (in a nice little pile), until I read it. I didn't used to read the Sports section, but I've even started reading it, too. I don't ready every word, mind you, but I skim the headlines and really I feel entertained and enlightened. And for those of you paying attention at home, I called to cancel the newspaper (I was mad about their increasing prices and my decreasing free time), and they gave me a heck of a deal and said my price would be forever, "immune to price increases." So I renewed.
Some quirks I used to have that I don't really have anymore:
  1. I used to work in a grocery store and one of our big things was to organize the dollar bills nicely, meaning, all the presidents' heads faced the same direction. For years afterwards I made sure all my presidents' heads were facing the right direction in my personal currency. For purposes of this blog I pulled out all the moolah in my wallet, and sadly, my presidents' heads were in all sorts of directions. When I lost my gumption for dollar bill organization, I'll never know.

  2. I used to have to sleep with socks on. If I tried to go to sleep without socks, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and would freak out and would not be able to get back to sleep without putting on socks. Even in the dead heat of summer, I had to have socks. But alas, somewhere along the lines that quirk died as well. I now can go either way.

  3. Lastly, and this one is courtesy my parents, I used to sit and watch all of the credits at movie theaters. I think my parents think that if you're at the movies, you might as well enjoy yourself and take your time and heck, get your money's worth. You never know what kind of funny things might happen during the credits (think Pixar's Finding Nemo or Bug's Life), or interesting things might happen at the end of the credits (think X-Men 3). When you leave a theater as soon as the screen goes black, you miss that stuff. I think Shane broke me of this habit... he's a get-up-and-go kind of person.
There you have it folks. I'm as interesting as a $2 bill. They exist, but are rare. Thanks for the tag, Wandering Nana!

4 comments:

wandering nana said...

Hey, your quirks aren't that bad. I had to laugh as the money facing a certain way. I use to do that because I worked retail and when you made deposits you had to put the money all the same way per the bank. I will still do this if I'm going thorough my money but I quit doing it when I got money from the bank and noticed the money was not organized.... why should I bother if the bank didn't care. I also wear my watch and look to see what time it is when I wake up, my problem is that I also have to put on my glasses. How can you not stay until the credits end... I remember when Ferris Bueller came out... we sat thru it all and remember in the end? "Why are you here, go home" If we hadn't of stayed we would have missed that classic moment. "}

Heidi said...

I am also obsessed with having to know what time it is. I check and recheck the cell phone. Even if I just checked it like 5 minutes ago! Going camping is the worst time I do this. It drives me crazy if I can't see the time. I can't go back to sleep until I find out. Before we had cell phones I couldn't stand the sound of the alarm so I'd make him put the clock on the other side of the room! He used to get so frustrated trying to move it to just the right place where I could see it!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Gosh, I still organize my bills (facing the same way, largest to smallest) and it has been perhaps 8 yrs since I was a bank teller! I like it. I also think of Suze Orman saying that organizing your money creates good karma (inviting more money to come live in your wallet because you treat money so nicely :-)

Daddio said...

One never knows what lurks at the end of those movie credits! You paid good $$$ to see the movie, at least you should be able to see all of it!

I've lost count of the number of times something interesting occurred during or immediately after the credits ... most of the other patrons had already left and missed it!