Wednesday, September 29, 2010

managing the mess

When we bought our condo, I decided it was important to me to "take care of" the little piece of heaven I actually owned. I wanted to vigilant about chores. I realized that if I ignored cleaning the sliding door tracks for years and years and years, that when I finally got around to cleaning them it would be so awful I'd probably die. I didn't want it to be that way. I was ready and eager for preventive cleaning.




So, I did what any respectable person would do: I made a list. I searched the Internet for ideas on necessary tasks and frequency... and then I put my chores in Outlook. All of them. Every time Outlook opens up, reminders for my current "tasks" pop up, and I know I have chores to do. I staggered them, so they don't all hit at once, and I just try to keep up. Some don't seem to need to be done... I choose to ignore them (hehe)... but they are always there, popping up, glaring me in the face, until I finally do them and can mark them complete.

But I've often wondered how my chores compare with other folks' chores. I'll outline for you here what is in my Outlook. What surprises you? What makes sense? What is the funniest thing you see? How do the recurrences compare to how often you do these chores? And perhaps the best -- what is missing??? (I've never cleaned behind the stacked washer and dryer. Uh oh.)

Note: You won't find things here like laundry, dishes, cat box, etc. Those things are just part of life. They have to get done. This list includes things that could possibly be ignored, to the detriment of our home.


Every week
  • Change Wesley's bed sheets
  • Vacuum and sweep entire home
Every 2 Weeks
  • Clean bathroom and hall mirrors
  • Change our bed sheets
  • Clean stove top and replace aluminum foil on burners if needed (seriously, I am bad at this... if there is a messy dinner, think pasta sauce!, I'll let it sit on the stove until this pops up in my Outlook. I don't clean after every meal, although I am trying to be better)
Monthly
  • Dust wood furniture (we have a super nice bedroom set, and this gets me to dust it)
  • Clean all sinks (three bathroom sinks, one kitchen sink)
Every 6 weeks
  • Clean shower, bathtub
  • Clean toilets
Every 2 months
  • Kitchen counters, "Full Assault" (this means: take everything off the kitchen counters, wipe them all down so they are spotless, then put it all back nice and organized)
Every 3 months
  • Mop all tiled surfaces (entryway, bathrooms, kitchen)
  • Dust light bulbs and other places (I read once that incandescent light bulbs are less efficient if they are dusty, so I decided to dust them. I added to this list other things like my elliptical machine, the computer desk, the tops and backs of our TVs, the tops of the kitchen cabinets, stuff like that)
Every 6 months
  • Dust/wash the blinds (I hate hate hate this job, although my cool new Oreck attachment vacuum has made it easier)
  • Wash windows and windowsills (this includes the sliding glass door and the tracks I alluded to earlier ;-)
  • Deep clean the kitchen (this includes tasks like taking everything out of every drawer and cabinet and cleaning, organizing, chucking stuff, plus wiping the cabinet door fronts for smudges, cleaning out the microwave, random stuff like that)
  • Clean inside of fridge (I actually love this. I turn it off, take out everything, take out all the shelves and drawers, clean and clean and it's spotless! plus I get rid of lots of forgotten freezer food this way!)
  • Run oven self-clean cycle
  • Wipe light switch plates and doors and door molding for smudges (including our front door, which gets all sorts of smudges on it)
  • Clean/sort bathroom drawers/cabinets (just like the kitchen -- take everything out and clean and then put it all back in in a nice organized fashion)
Yearly
  • Dust ceiling corners/clean baseboards (me running around the house with my attachment vac looking for cobwebs in ceiling corners and getting the 1/8-inch of dust on the carpet that the vacuum doesn't get because it's too close to the baseboard... lovely!)
  • Get vacuum serviced
  • Get fireplace serviced
  • Get carpet cleaned

There you have it. My list. I'd love to hear what you think! Now I'm off to do some chores before I give up on Wesley taking a nap. (sigh.)

5 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

This is a great list and one I may take some ideas from :).
Surprises: getting the vacuum serviced - great idea! I need to do that to ours.

Makes sense: Deep cleaning of kitchen - and taking everything out and reorganizing it. Very smart to do consistently.

Recurrences: We clean out toilet more often (about every other week) and dust more often (weekly - Craig hates dust).

Change sheets less often (monthly - but I probably should do it more often), Mop less often (in bathrooms for sure), Wash windows less often (outsides and track - inside maybe as often)

Missing: one thing I would add as a special job is disinfect doorknobs weekly, more often during cold seasons. That is an especially germy spot. I got that info from watching a video one time from my mom with some guy who made it rich from janitorial work (can't remember his name of course in fact doorknobs is the only thing I remember from it). In his video he said that when Price William was going to be born he was contacted by those working for the Royal Family and that was the first thing he told them: doorknobs.

Danielle said...

I am marveling at your organization. I just clean when things are umm...dirty, or when I expect company. :)
However, I am obsessive about disinfecting door knobs, light switches, phone, keyboards, etc. during cold/flu season.
How on earth do you only mop every three months? That's crazy talk! With my kids, I need to mop the kitchen weekly or else it is sticky and gross.
I wish I could say I vacuum weekly but both my kids are terrified of the vacuum so it's quite the process.
I have my own steam carpet cleaner and I tend to do it every 3-4 months if possible. With the kids around and very light carpet, I find it's never often enough and it feels SO good to have clean carpet.

Rose said...

I think it's great that you HAVE a list! I have made lists more than once, but it's hard to follow them because I have gotten past the point of preventative cleaning to where a lot of stuff needs catching up. And a lot of times the kids will make a surprise disaster that I have to take care of as well. Although I will note that when our house IS caught up... we usually vacuum more than once a week... but that's mainly because we have 4 kids.

I honestly didn't read the full list, because dinner is just about ready... but I might come back and steal it. :)

Stacey said...

I love your list! I used to have set days of the week for chores, but somehow I've got away from that. Just enjoy the mess of one kid because I only have two, but I now sweep daily, mop weekly, and vacuum at least 3 times a week. If not more! I think I need to empty out my drawers and clean them out and clean the stove and oven much more often though...I think you've even inspired me to create an eletronic calendar myself :)

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Wow. Will you come and live at my house? I'm very random in my cleaning and it basically just gets done when I absolutely cannot stand it any longer. I couldn't have reminders come up on my computer for tasks because it would just make me feel overwhelmed. Housework is something I've decided to forgive myself about "forgetting."

Oh, and I would LOVE to have a carpet steam cleaner. That sounds heavenly. We have carpet in the dining room (darn rental) and it just gets gross.