Wednesday, October 24, 2012

ghoulish good time

I'm part of a couple moms groups, which are sort of intertwined -- there is a group of seven moms (and dads) that took our childbirthing classes together back in early 2008 (Birthing Buddies, we're now calling ourselves), and from that, a few of us attending the moms group at the local hospital and joined with about a dozen other moms and have become this incredible tight-knit group of friends. Taking those birthing classes and going to the moms group have been a few of the best decisions I've ever made, since my friends are just AWESOME and we're close, our kids are close, wow. It's great.

SO. This summer another mom hosted a BBQ, actually two BBQs, one for the Birthing Buddies and another for the bigger Moms Group. At one of those events, I can't remember which one, I said I'd host the Halloween party and another mom said she'd do the Christmas party and cookie & ornament exchange.

I first invited all the Birthing Buddies (six families) to my party, but immediately one RSVP'd no. In a moment of non-clarity, I freaked out and thought no one was coming and proceeded to invite all my Moms Group friends, too. And then EVERYONE. RSVP'D. YES. We had 12 families come. I believe the kid count was 21. It was awesome!!! I'm SO GLAD I have a real house and could host such a fun party!!!

For food, I hosted a baked potato bar, where I musta baked like 50 potatoes, and we had cheese, broccoli, chives, green onions, sour cream, and real bacon (yumm) as toppings. I invited everyone else to bring a "spooky" side dish, and some were awesome. We had little English muffin pizzas that looked like mummies (black olives for eyes and overlapping string cheese), a hummus/veggie tray with plastic black spiders all over it (hahaha), clementines with jack-o-lantern faces, etc. It was great! I made like 50 pumpkin chocolate-chip cupcakes for dessert. I wrapped the waters with a Halloween party wrap (thank you Pinterest) and had CapriSuns for the kids.



For decorations, I had a Halloween banner, which WESLEY helped me thread! That was awesome because we are working on his fine motor skills. I didn't do a lot of decorations. I just had the house clean basically :-)



For activities, I had a coloring station where I had made personalized Halloween coloring sheets for all the kids (I love love love this site), and there was also a foam-pumpkin decorating station. Plus the kids decorated cupcakes after dinner with candy corn and Halloween sprinkles. I found a set of "beakers" at Michaels that had sprinkles in it so the kids looked like mad scientists. It was cute!











For party favors, every child got a chocolate eyeball, candy corn, and pencil in a little baggie. I made 25 of them!! I had 6 left over (Wesley didn't get one actually), so I may make 8 more and take them to our preschool Halloween party next week. Lastly, we had a Halloween raffle (everyone in costume was entered, even the adults), and Shane drew three names that won Halloween decks of cards. I got them on Halloween clearance like four years ago and it was exciting to have a fun use for them. (Was it wrong that Shane actually drew Wesley's name as one of the winners? I couldn't believe it! He had like a 3/30 chance of winning and he did. So we have Frankenstein cards which are all over my house.)



More pictures of our party.... we had pirates, princesses, and Chewie....


 Buzz Lightyear and a Doctor...




Tinkerbell...


















Batgirl & Robin (an entire bat family, actually)...





A butterfly...















 



A really cute little monkey....


I was a gardener, with my cute little purple flower (who did great waaaaay after her bedtime)...



Some ensemble shots, first the Birthing Buddies...



And all the kiddos. Well, minus a few who were running around outside and oddly, my son, whom I have no pictures of.



The kids had a great time playing with our toys, eating cupcakes, laughing. I just loved it. Luckily for us it wasn't raining, so kiddos went outside and played on the swing set before it got dark. YAY! There were some tears (to be expected), some potty adventures (also to be expected), a surprise pregnancy announcement (not me -- but yay for my friend Samantha!), and overall lots of laughs and fun. I just love this group of friends.     

Maybe again next year? Yay!

(PS. I HATE THIS BLOGGER PHOTO ORGANIZER. HATE IT. Sorry the blog looks a little crazy with the spacing and stuff.)

1 comment:

KG said...

Looks like so much fun! And what coloring site do you love? I'm always on the lookout for good coloring pages for my kids!