Friday, February 29, 2008

ode to seattle

Dear Seattle,

I remember the first time I saw you. It was night, and I was at the tail-end of a 10-hour snow-capped drive from Redding, California, to my new home in Magnolia (flush with the Interbay train tracks, no less). I recall climbing the crest of a hill just past Boeing Field and I saw you. Your big buildings, your sparkly lights. I knew then and there that something special was about to happen to me. I knew I'd fall for you. I was right.

I love looking out the window from my 32nd floor office, seeing how the sun reflects or rain splashes or wind ripples off Puget Sound. It's just so beautiful - at any time of year. The orange cranes at the Port, the titanic cruise ships off Alaskan Way, the faint outline of the Olympics - they are each part of you.

I love walking the streets and seeing the people with their lattes (hot chocolates?!), keeping warm and walking busily to and fro. When I first moved here I was surprised at how much black everyone wore! Then one day, strolling from the bus to work, I caught my reflection in the Macy's Frangos window - black hat, black coat, black gloves, black pants, black shoes. I had become one of you.

I love the "little" things that make Seattle Seattle. Red Mill Burgers, Dilletante Ephemere, Specialty's cookies (day old for half price!), Piroshky at the Market, the new Olympic Sculpture Park, the bike path at Myrtle Edwards, the Nutcrackers at Christmas, the Seattle Times' Peeps competition! I fall in love with you over and over again as I discover more things! I got to see Blake Lewis (and Sir Mix-A-Lot!) at Westlake Center! I shook the hand of the architect that designed the new library, who himself shook the hand of Brad Pitt! They turned a 7-11 into a Kwik-E-Mart! I sent my parents a postcard of the Seattle skyline and circled the skyscraper I work in with thick black marker!

I love how riding the bus is an adventure. I love how following the new construction trends is intriguing. I love how the craze to be "green" has me thinking more about reusing, reducing, and recycling. I love how I can blend right in, yet feel so much a part of the action.

Just the other day, as traffic was snarling my commute to work, I was tempted to be angry. Impatient. Frustrated. Instead, I turned on my iPod (listening to Pearl Jam or Nirvana or Presidents of the United States of America, no doubt), looked out the window, and saw your skyline like I was seeing it for the first time. The sun was shining, there were boats on Lake Union, and I just smiled.

Not since I left Salisbury, Maryland, have I felt at home. I've always fantasized about being part of the "big city," and you're the perfect city for me. I'm finally home.

Here's to you, Seattle.

-Your Biggest Fan

No comments: