Thursday, July 24, 2008

what's goin' on

A brief summary of some of the interesting goings on in the Gottula home as of late:

  • A whodunit suspense thriller: for some odd reason, the "No Fishing" sign in our fish tank is knocked over. By whom? One of the four remaining fish? Wesley? One of our sneaky houseguests from this weekend? I can only assume someone put their hand into the tank to knock it over, which doesn't sound pleasant. In any case, it remains down, probably until I clean it next.

  • Last night, we moved Wesley's crib from our room into his room. I cried. The room's official title went from "the second bedroom" to "Wesley's room" overnight, and that's a big deal. He's all grown up. Shane told me, "you've got to cut the umbilical cord sometime!"

  • Tuesday was my first day "on my own." My mom is gone, and Shane was at work. It was an awful day. The worst part: when I got a tupperware of baked beans out of the microwave to eat, and instead dropped the whole thing on the floor. Baked beans on my pants, my shirt, Wesley's swaddle blanket (not him, thankfully), the cabinets, the floor, even the fridge. Are you laughing? Does it sound funny? Well it wasn't. So there. It was awful. Again, I cried.

  • I got an estimate from a plumber to "clean the pipes" of our place so we don't have to keep buying Drano. Have any of you guys done this before? To do two bathtubs and three bath sinks (since one of our baths is a double vanity), they quoted me $600! Does that sound reasonable? Shane says he also wants the toilets done... so that should, I don't know, add another couple hundred to the bill. Boo.

  • In Wesley's room is a stereo and I like to listen to 88.5 FM at 3 in the morning. They play soft jazz. It's awesome for feeding the little guy and rocking him back to sleep. After 5 or so they broadcast NPR. I'm turning into an NPR junkie, which I never expected. This morning's news included a story on healthcare in the U.S. vs. Great Britain, and a report on the "vitrification plant" (sp?) being constructed in Richland, Wash., for Hanford nuclear waste.

  • For our huge Wesley bash this past weekend, we got his picture on a cake! It was the coolest thing ever. I keep telling him, I'll know I've made it when I have my picture on a cake. And he's not even 2 months old. What a guy.

  • I'm trying to drink five 1 pint 7.7 ounce bottles of water a day. It's quite the task. My mom had an awesome idea that I've been doing and I will pass on to you: as soon as you finish one bottle, wrap a rubber band around it. That way you don't lose count of how many you've consumed. Genius! I get my five during the day, then I have No. 6 waiting in Wesley's room at night if/when I get thirsty while attending to him at the aforementioned 3 am. It's been great. The doc says I need buckets of water.

  • People have asked if our kid's name is "Wes-ley" or "Wez-ley." I don't really think it matters. My brother's wife is named Leslie, and we call her both. I think it's just whatever happens to come out of your mouth when you say it. I'm not going to be picky. I did know a girl once in high school whose name was Laura, and if you called her "lore-a" instead of "laure-a" she got rather offended and corrected you. I'd prefer not to raise my son that way. (I wonder if Leslie gets offended? She's never told me I've offended her).

  • We watched The Devil Wears Prada the other day. I just love that movie. Add it to the list of movies I could watch over and over and over again (perhaps the subject of a future blog post?). I could maybe watch it every day.

That's all for now.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh dear...honey, I had someone home with me for exactly 5 weekdays and when Nathan was a week old, I was on my own for good. You'll survive and you'll just have to create a new rythm for yourself. While he was little, I will admit to watching a lot of TLC and morning talk shows, but as he's gotten older, the TV is now off and we just have our routine. I guess it works better for some people then others though. I tend to be antisocial, so it's not a huge deal to me.

Stacey said...

The umbilical cord story cracked me up. And about your pipes...I think Drano for 50 years might be cheaper!

Daddio said...

What's going on with your pipes? Drano is not a good long-term solution here ...
(toxic chemicals can't be good)...

wandering nana said...

My Dad was a plumber and I honestly don't ever remember having to have pipes cleaned. I know that in old houses (60 yrs or older) they have problem with tree roots and you have to have someone come with a "snake" (special tool). My daughter had that done and it was $150, but that was in Salt Lake. It would seem like your pipes are connected to your neighbors so would you also be cleaning theirs? Maybe they would help pay. I remember when my daughter had her first and I had been there and when I was leaving the next day she cried and didn't think she would be able to take care of the baby... she now has 2 and is a wonderful mom. You are doing great.

Unknown said...

i liked the part about the name. I am sorry that you had to move him out of your room and then having your mom leave. that is traumatic

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Oh, I remember the terror of the first day on my own! It gets better! I also remember crying my eyes out when we put Emily Lara in her own room. It was so hard, but we slept so much better. When they are in your room you wake up every time they twitch their nose.

Also, I've never heard of cleaning your pipes. That's pretty pricey if you ask me!