Monday, April 13, 2009

big and blue

My life changed this weekend. I went to Ikea.


WOW.

I've received the catalogs in the mail for years, and have built up a respect for Ikea simply because I've noticed that their products don't ignore the fact that everyone has stuff, and they try to help you organize and place your stuff in a nice fashion in your home. That makes me feel good. I just want room for all my stuff.

But, I'd never been to an Ikea store. Until now.

WOW!

Their store is split in three parts: a big showroom, a "marketplace" (which is basically like um, Target) with a restaurant even!, and a warehouse. In the showroom you see how all their stuff looks and the different variations for say, a single bookshelf. A bookshelf. A bookshelf with doors. A bookshelf with glass doors. A bookshelf with glass doors and legs. A bookshelf with lights. Two bookshelves side by side with sliding glass doors. You get the picture. You decide what you want, and the various variations, then you make a note of the "bin number" and pick up the items, a la carte, up in the warehouse. The marketplace has like dishes and toys and books and blankets and tea lights and other homely home stuff like that.

THEN, there's the checkout area and this HUGE covered "load" space where guys in blue Ikea shirts come around and help you strap stuff to the top of your car. It's so fun. They have free twine and "roof racks" (aka pieces of cardboard), and even Ikea sofas where you can hang out while your shopping partner brings the car around. Oh it's just so delightful.

Shane said before we went that we should buy rope so we can put stuff on the top of the car. I said no, I'm sure they have something like that there. I expected they'd charge an arm and a leg for some rope, since they know you'll need it. But no, not Ikea, sweet sweet Ikea. The twine is free.

Other happy observations:
  • The building itself is a marvel. It is DEEP DEEP BLUE, the ENTIRE huge building. It makes it all the more mysterious.

  • There were Ikea people all over to help. Usually in a furniture store I am terrified to ask for help since then that salesperson is GLUED to me. Ikea is more like a regular store in those respects and that was nice.

  • The Swedish names of the furniture are positively unpronouncable, but I decided not to let it upset me. I asked a woman about something called "Alive," the name of a bookshelf I saw. She said, "oh you mean Al-vee?" and I was like, "No, Alive." And she showed me where it was, and sure enough it was "Alve." No "i." I felt like a loser.

  • Their slogan, "You don't have to be rich, just smart," is right on. Their stuff really isn't that expensive, compared to say Dania. We went there once and the sticker shock alone hurled me back out the door.

  • There was a bakery in the marketplace and they had fresh cinnamon rolls. The whole store smelled like Cinnabon and just made me so happy.

  • Next time I go I'll expect to stay all day. We were there for around 2 or 3 hours, and we didn't even realize it. The time just flew by, although we did get lost so I guess that's partially our fault. They do a great job with the signage but we still got lost.

If you've never been, you've gotta go. The whole place was just bursting with this energy. There were excited people everywhere. If you ever need to like, redo a whole room or control the DVDs taking over your whole house, go to Ikea. You can find something that works for you! I am absolutely confident if I ever need something again, something that I want custom just for me that I just need to work in a certain way, some series of Ikea furniture can do it for me.

I was just babbling with delight on the way home, and Shane told me to chill (his words exactly: "before you turn into a walking Ikea commercial...") and said he'd wait to reserve judgment until he actually got our new bookshelf put together and we've used it for 6 months or so. So I suppose I'll update you in 6 months.

See, Saturday started out so awful. I've been eyeing this unfinished bookshelf at a real wood furniture store for weeks. We finally put the roof rack on the car and were putting on our shoes to head out the door to buy it when I called them to make sure they still had it, and it had sold. Boy was I in a foul mood. I was so upset and sad.

Enter Ikea, my rebound furniture love. Oh Ikea, you and me, we'll be happy forever. Thanks so much for saving my day. Lifting my furniture-crushed spirits. Giving me hope that yes, I can find happiness.

I had planned to buy a 48-inch-wide, 72-inch-tall unstained bookshelf with bottom doors for under $400, before tax. I'd have to come home and stain it myself, which would have been a pain (and extra $$), but worth it for real wood, I suppose.

The Ikea bookshelf is 47 inches wide, 75 inches tall (just as big!), with bottom doors, premium door knobs (we got to pick them out ourselves), and a nice dark black-brown finish. It's, um, engineered wood, yes, but it was a grand total of $220. I guarantee it'll hold up better than the junk we've bought at Wal-Mart and Target. That stuff is junk.

But, like Shane advises, I'll try to calm down for about 6 months. Although it sure was fun! Do you guys love Ikea as much as I do? I think my friends I know who like Ikea really really like it, but I feel like I'm in this club now of people who know, you know?

Anyway. It was a good Saturday.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

I love Ikea! I have never been fortunate enough to be able to buy stuff from there but have been inside the most wonderful place on the planet with my sister. Every time I go to her house I am jealous. She has the coolest furniture and I ask "Where did you find that?" and of course she says "IKea!" Silly question! One day I will get to go there and spend money! That will be a happy day! By the way thanks for tag! It has been awhile since I posted anything!

wandering nana said...

I love IKEA too. When I visited my daughter in Texas I would always go there. They finally decided to build one in Utah.... It opened a month before we moved away... I was so excited that Seattle had one... it was one of the first places we visited... we bought our day bed from there. My favorite department is where the dishes, pans, etc are. I never leave without buying something....it's a weakness.

Danielle said...

Okay, I'm laughing that you've never been there. Most of our place is furnished with Ikea stuff, for better or worse. It was why I suggested you look into dressers there back when you were looking at dressers. Granted you might not have learned all those fab lessons from staining, but you might have had some satisfaction from assembly. :)

angelalois said...

Danielle, yeah I had seen the Malm stuff (that you recommended!) in the catalogs and was intrigued. I was just going to buy it online, sight unseen, but the fancy dresser staining thing worked out just as fine. I saw the Malm lingerie chest in person Saturday and it's definitely smaller than what we're using. BUT it would have worked! So yeah, I'm finally part of your club, haha :-)

Chelle said...

Love love love IKEA! I was just talking about that place with my sister-in-law's friend, who had never been there. I likened it to an amusement park for adults (Dining Room World, Bathtime World, etc). It is an shopping experience everyone should have.

Tawnya said...

That is so funny because I was at Ikea on Saturday!!! What are the chances. Todd, Jaxson and I took a trip. We were the ones with the almost 2 year old running around trying all the toddler beds. I can't believe we didn't see you. Maybe we were hiding in the huge kid closets when you passed by us. That's where Jaxson wanted to spend most of his time.

Corey said...

I just went for the first time a few weeks ago myself. It was way too over-stimulating for me. I was so tired looking at everything my eyes and legs were hurting before we even got to the end. I guess you need a plan before you go since we just went browsing and only walked out with a spatula and some popsicle containers. But the next time I plan on redecorating a room it will be fun to go and look for ideas. I definitely love their closet ideas and hopefully one day when I have my own house we can use them.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Oh, the first blush of new love... I enjoy the IKEA store too. Love their organizational strategies and their advertising. Not so in love with their furniture. It's not the most expensive furniture in the world but it isn't cheap by a long shot unless you mean cheap as in...takes you forever to build and then it falls apart...which has been some of my experience with IKEA furniture. The table turned out ok. The dresser is unstable and annoying. I don't buy IKEA furniture anymore. I leave the building of furniture to the professionals (of which I am not one).

KG said...

The first time we ever went to Ikea, we went to just "look around". We were there for about three hours, and left with $50 worth of toys. Whew! It's an amazing store.

Over Thanksgiving we went there to get an extension to the train set we already had. Taylor went in alone while I stayed in the car. I thought it would be safe to send Taylor in there because if I went in alone, it could take me a while to get out, and most likely I'd have added a few more things to our list. When Taylor came out, he was carrying the extension to the train set, but he was also carrying a huge flat thing under his arm. He had bought a kid's drawing easel for $10! I couldn't believe it. I didn't have a problem with it, but we were on our way back to Idaho and the car was packed with junk already for the 12 hour drive. We ended up stowing that easel in the car all the way home. It divided the car in half lengthwise, reaching from the back seat to the dashboard. I thought it was safe sending Taylor in that store...

Ikea... you gotta be careful.

The Little Twining's said...

You just ask Brad how much I love it!! It's amazing, our whole house is furnished mainly by ikea :-)