Tuesday, July 28, 2009

where box fans come to die

Since everyone else is blogging about the heat, I figured I should as well. It's dreadful. It's awful. It's unbearable. I am dying.

Some Facebook friends have declared a heat war, exclaiming, "wimp! it's 114 in Phoenix!," to which I reply, "BUT YOU HAVE AIR CONDITIONING!"

No one in Seattle has air conditioning, since we only need it about once a year. That time is now. Oh my. And it's not letting up. Today it was in the mid-90s, tomorrow it's supposed to get to (gulp) 100, the rest of the week should be the 90s, 80s for the weekend, then we do it all again next week. I listen to the weather report and seriously cry. Tears of fear.

Which brings me to my heat-related story for your reading enjoyment:

When Shaner and I got married and lived in Provo, UT, we had a box fan. It went with us to Simi Valley, CA. It came with us to Seattle, WA. Our one, fabulous, reliable box fan. Twinings -- what I was before I was a Gottula -- we love box fans. Just ask Kurt. His favorite summer activity is what he'd call "a box fan night." Sleeping in his bunk bed, right next to an open window, with the box fan blasting. Ahhh summer. Pleasant memories.

While in Seattle, the Shaner and I let a neighbor borrow our box fan, and the neighbor killed it. I actually didn't even hear this story until later. Our fan didn't come with us to our current home in Lynnwood. Our current home which can also be literally described as a box fan black hole.

We replaced our murdered box fan several years ago, buying a new fan when it was on sale ($9.99, whoo hoo) and when it wasn't hot, so we were prepared. Fast forward to the hottest day of that summer, when it was doing a great job running on high and cooling our living room, and it suddenly toppled over. A blade shattered. Ouch. Of course it was the hottest day of the year so getting a replacement fan was a joke.

That was several box fans ago. And our current two fans have both in the last several weeks fallen out of a window. The first broke a blade, but luckily still runs; the second knocked a "bearing" out of whack (according to Shane), and it makes this awful creaking screeching noise every time it runs.

We're cursed! I've never killed a box fan before in my life, but now they just don't stand a chance. I don't know what it is. In this condo, box fans just want to topple over. I don't know if any amount of kindness or prudence or prayer or window fortification would change that.

So here we are again, on the hottest day of the year, with Shane begging for a new fan that will withstand our abuse. Heaven help us. We're roasting.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

This weather is truly, unbelievably, awful. I am not one to complain about rain or clouds. My ideal temperature is about 74 or so. At this point, I am sort of in a state of disbelief.

Svedi Pie said...

I was just watching yesterday how you guys were going through a major heat wave. :( This is what I would say to the AZ folks: "Yes it may be hotter in AZ, but guess what you CHOSE to live there, I didn't." :) Also, you're right, when you're prepared for heat (aka AC) it's bearable, no AC is miserable :( Hope the heat wave ends soon!

Kurt said...

Amen!!! I LOVE box fan nights, still! Sadly, Melani is not a 'fan' of box-fan nights. Normally we don't even leave our windows open -sigh- While she was in California and I in Fort Collins I had a few very enjoyable box fan nights though :D I can understand the heat wave woes, when I was in California for a mere week the average daily temperature was about 110 degrees. The Jolley's a/c wasn't always super cool though, so even with a/c it was pretty hott. AND usually at night it didn't really cool off all that much. At like midnight it only would get down to 79-80 degrees. Needless to say, I am SO happy to be back in cool Colorado. We don't have a/c either because we don't need it, and luckily the heat hasn't been quite as much as you have been getting in Seattle.