Wednesday, February 17, 2010

houses and money and messes, oh my!

I don't think any of you know that I'd really like to move, and that we're considering moving. Our home is good for us, really it is, but it's a condo and we want to be in a house. Going up and down three flights of stairs with a toddler (and groceries) is such a chore. I am saving baby stuff (high hopes!), so we're busting at the seams. There are so many things I wish I could change cosmetically about our place, but the hub feels that if we're not planning on staying there, we should just wait it out.

So I've been waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

We're finally starting to decide what to do. I think the time is right. We have several choices:
  • Refinance and stay for another 2-5 years (how to organize more than one kid in this space is what concerns me; my friends over at AAA Update can attest to the difficulty of it)
  • Sell our condo and move to a new house, in our ward (north Lynnwood, south Everett area)
  • Sell our condo and move to a new house, outside of our ward (anywhere around Seattle, but probably Snohomish County)
  • The same two options above, except RENT our condo instead and deal with being a landlady
  • Sell our condo and move to the TriCities, where we'd get a HUGE bang for our buck, but we'd leave all the friends, doctors, memberships, annual events, jobs, etc., we've grown to love
But all this and a discussion of pros/cons is not what this post is about.

Last night, we went to go see a house. On paper, I loved this house. It had everything we wanted! A family room and living room. FOUR bedrooms. Nice kitchen. Three whole baths. Two-car garage. HUGE lot (10,000+ square feet). Built in 2000 (Shane doesn't want anything newer, I don't want anything older). Quiet cul-de-sac, no HOA dues, in our current ward boundaries. AND for a price we could afford, probably, depending on how much we took out of savings and how we could swing things. It was a dream! I was so excited to see it.

I did some research on the property to figure things out. From our realtor, we learned it was a short sale and there is more than $300,000 in debt on the house, but the bank was willing to work with the owners and sell for less.

See, that is all funny, since the Snohomish County assessor's Web site told more of the story. By checking the parcel information for the property, I learned the people who live there now are the original owners. In 2006, they either got divorced or someone died, and the "new owner" was just one of the two of them. Since they bought the house in 1999 for lots lots lots less than $300,000, we figure that meant they refinanced in 2006 (right at the peak). They took out a HELOC or something. And all of a sudden, the property debt was way way way way up there.

OK, whatever, people do that kind of stuff. But, enter the real estate crash, and you've got a big mess on your hands.

But, the thing that is really awful about this house, my dream house, is that it was trashed. Completely trashed. The water heater was leaking all over the garage. The carpet was ruined. There was dirt and dust and yuckiness everywhere. The fridge hadn't been cleaned in ages. The bathrooms were grimy. There were cracks in the walls. The yard was unkempt. I could go on.

I find it interesting that the owners don't care enough about their investment to even make it presentable!! I thought that was a given when you're trying to sell a house! Our realtor called these guys twice during the day -- they knew we were coming and at what time -- but we still came right as dinner was ready. The whole place smelled like Asian rice. They hadn't picked up, they hadn't cleaned, they were home!, it didn't matter to them if we wanted to buy or not. It was the bank's problem.

It was awful. It was so hard to see. Afterwards, Shane and I were talking, and we made a few assumptions about what had happened, and basically it seems that these people made out like bandits. They had this home they didn't take care of, didn't care about, but because of the real estate climate they were able to get bucko bucks from the bank and spend it all on whatever they wanted: trips to Hawaii, new cars, flat-screen TVs, whatever. That money evaporated. And now the bank, essentially, owns a deteriorating asset and they have to "write it off" and deal with the consequences of the homeowners having a "hardship." ("Hardship" is the main reason for a short sale; and owner has to prove to the bank there is some big reason why they can't make their payments and have to sell now for less than they owe on the home.)

Shane says, and I agree, that so many people (and the media?) make it out to say the banks are the villains, banks are so awful for making people pay back their loans, blah blah, whatever! If you saw this house, you'd know what I'm saying. Sometimes the people are the villains. It's true, the bank had no business refinancing and letting those people walk away with all that cash. (It's hard to say, since if homeowners want to buy a new house or open a business or whatever, then using home equity is a good way to do it.)

I just can't believe it. I live in a condo, under 1,000 square feet. In my Outlook I have set up "tasks" of chores. Every three weeks it pops up that I change the bed sheets. Every week it pops up that I vacuum and sweep. Every two months it pops up that I dust our wood. Every 6 months it pops up that I run a cycle to clean the oven. You see what I'm saying? The windows in that house last night had never been cleaned in 10 years, I can tell you that for sure.

I meticulously care about my investment. Shane and I, we don't want to take over a house that the previous owners didn't care about at all. It would be a huge mess! The cosmetic issues alone made me cringe; what if there was more? Structural damage? Water damage from the leaking water heater? (We're talking a bucket was under this water heater, catching the leak, full of water, and overflowing.)

To be balanced, I must say if there is a hardship, it makes sense that the owners can't afford to get a new water heater or replace the carpet to make the place presentable. They can't even make their mortgage! But I just have to wonder... how does one get to that point?

Some people just don't care.... and I feel like I'm the one who actually has to deal with it. Because all this real estate money in our society essentially evaporated, I am still dealing with inflated house prices, and the only option for me is to sell my condo (for tens of thousands of dollars at a loss) and move to the TriCities where cost of living is cheaper.

One more anecdote. In the paper recently was an article about this single mom and how her life was oh-so-hard since she was unemployed, had zero income, was living on food stamps, and found it so tough to take care of herself and get the government assistance she needed. I kept reading. The article said this woman was a successful mortgage broker who made $400,000 in 2008. FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. And now she was living on food stamps. WHERE DID IT ALL GO??? I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for someone who makes that much money and does not save a dime.

I'm just so frustrated. All of us live in this world together, and it's hard for me to try to teach my son good values about hard work, when around him people are getting away with laziness. I want to say that it only matters how you live your life, but sometimes I'm not sure. It seems like everyone else's dumb choices are affecting me. Perhaps the point is just to deal with it well, and continue to do right by ourselves and by God. It may not be fun, but at least I'll feel right about myself in the end. (Even if I'm still in my condo.)

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Haha! Thanks for the shout-out.

Michelle said...

I know what you are saying! When I was getting ready to buy my condo, I could only afford a 1 bedroom, though I REALLY wanted the 2 bedroom. I went back and forth, should I stretch myself and go for the 2 bedroom? My loan officer kept telling me to go for the 2 bedroom and that I would get approved. I kept telling her that I really couldn't afford it. She didn't care! Why was she pushing me so hard to get into the 2 bedroom?

Little did I know I'd marry the contractor and end up with 2 kids less than 1 year later or I would have bought the 2 bedroom.

Fast forward. When were deciding if we should stay in our condo (and trust me, having FOUR people in a ONE bedroom is insane) we had 2 different realtors come to our house for advice. And do you want to know what advice we got BOTH times? To give our condo back to the bank. Because they said the condo was in my name only, that it would only ruin MY credit. And Brian was the "breadwinner" so we could still buy a house. WHAT KIND OF ADVICE IS THAT???

We decided to rent it out, take a $400 loss EVERY MONTH, but at least I have good credit and didn't give back something I bought because I wanted something bigger and better.

I feel your frustration.

And I better get to bed now. :) Good night!

jeff said...

I did a little sidebar math, and this was your 200th post! Congratulations!

I'm at 193 myself, so I'll be hitting that same milestone pretty soon. I'm guessing my 200th will be on a more trivial topic than yours was.

Rose said...

The other problem with short sales is that they can take a long time to close, if they close at all! Remember how we were waiting for 6 months to hear back about a house before we finally gave up on it? Short sale.

I'm a fan of Moses Lake. It's about 90 minutes from the Tri-Cities. I think the only downside to Moses Lake is that we have to drive 90 minutes to the temple, but it's still not bad. We still make it a point to go there once a month, and it gives my husband and I lots of conversation time. :)

For being a "small" town, it has it's own stake. 8 family wards, a singles branch, and a Spanish-speaking branch. What kind of work would your husband or you need? We could look around for you!

Our house is just under 2000 square feet. 4 bedrooms big enough to share, an open kitchen, family room, living room, 2 bathrooms, a 2 car garage. It had a playground in the background when we bought it, AC and air conditioning. It was built in 1995 and was still in good condition. They had recently painted the exterior and put new carpet upstairs. We bought it for $178,000 and it was NOT a short sale!

If you ever decide you want to look in the Moses Lake area, I know a place where you can sleep and eat for free. :)

The Church members out here are amazing. I thought I'd never find another ward like the one in Everett, but my move to Moses Lake proved me wrong! I still love my ward in Everett, but this one is just as good!

Svedi Pie said...

Angela! I love this post! You're reading my mind! I completely agree with you on this. It's so frustrating the way some people mismanage their own lives (and how often they get bailed out for it). I have a story to add to this:

Craig and I work very hard to make good financial decisions. We got without lots of extras or going out to eat and when we do anything special or fun it's because we've saved up for it. We've also worked our way out of debt and are diligently saving for homeownership. Craig's co-worker on the other hand lives off of credit cards, consistently takes time off work to go skiing or on vacation, bounces checks left and right, can't even pay his rent. A couple of times last year Craig and his co-workers were out of work for a month or two, and this is the part that drives me crazy: Craig's boss knows that the co-worker is struggling with money (mind you it's his own choice to be struggling). So who gets work first when work is slow? His co-worker, every time. One time Craig was out of work for two months because of this crap, but his co-worker was working every day. It makes me so mad! Why is it that the one who strives to make good decisions doesn't get the work, but the one that letting his life go to pot gets a second chance every time? (I should say Craig's boss is such a nice man, he's a real softie, but it leads to rewarding idiotic behavior)You know what also bugs me? His co-worker has mentioned several times that when he's ready to get his act together he already plans on gathering all his debt and getting it cut in half. Oh it bothers me!!

But good luck on deciding what to do with your condo. So sorry your dream house didn't pan out (I've see houses like that all over my search for homes in NC, it's so sad).

And fingers crossed for an extra kidlet coming your way!! :D