Saturday, February 13, 2010

i'm on a quest

Wesley has moved up a shoe size, so we were in the market for new shoes. I'm not impressed with shoes that "light up" or shoes that tie or shoes that are icky looking, so I was being particularly picky.

One day -- not two weeks ago -- I was at Fred Meyer and saw the cutest pair of shoes. I loved them instantly. However, since I'm pretty frugal (read: cheap!), I decided I'd wait until FM came out with one of those "15% off shoes" coupons. They have them all the time, so I knew I wouldn't be waiting long.

Well, Wesley's toes were getting smooshed and we were getting impatient so I went ahead back to FM with the intention of buying the shoes, even without a coupon. BUT, I went to another FM and they didn't have the style! I was heartbroken! I found some other suitable shoes (since he really needed shoes, that very day) and made a deal with myself that when a coupon came out, I'd go back to the other FM and buy the shoes one size bigger, so we'd be prepared for the next time around.

This weekend coupon day has come, oh joy!, but today I went to not one but two Fred Meyers looking for those perfect shoes. It's like they were a dream! They are nowhere to be found! I am at a loss, wondering if I made them up. I can picture them now: overlapping laces tucked in (so the shoes can be slipped on), brown trim, with fun green and orange highlights on the white sneaker. Perfect little boy shoes.

I usually don't get worked up like this. I think it's because when I want something, I usually buy it right away (if it's on sale or I can live with the price), or else I take my time because I know whatever it is will be around for me to research it and decide I'm ready for it (think a mattress, a car, a vacuum). But toddler shoes are a different story. It is really bugging me to have these shoes vanish! I'm now scouring the Internet, searching for these elusive shoes, wanting them no matter the price. It's taking over my life.

But it's a quest.

What do you do? Do you always buy something you want immediately? If you come back and it's gone, do you freak out? I could just let it go... but I feel like I need to put forth the effort right now. I need to at least find them and have the option of getting them (for 50% more, who knows). So, that's what I'm up to. Toddler shoes and coupons and quandaries, oh my.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Well, first of all, I hate how often we have to go up a shoe-size with these little guys...
For toddler shoes, since N has wide feet, we are pretty much not able to go cheap. So, I watch stride-rite sales and was able to get his last pairs half-off making ridiculously expensive shoes almost affordable. At least they are snazzy, I tell myself.
I seem to always be on a quest for *something* and that *something* takes over my life (or my web-surfing life) until I either find what I"m looking for and buy it or decide I don't need it.
I say if you can't find the shoes, they weren't meant to be. :)