Saturday, February 22, 2014

for my boy's books

I FINALLY finished a project today. I have A LOT of projects in the works, but this one... ha... I actually made the book sling and gave it to Wesley last Christmas (Christmas 2012), but it has sat around in a drawer until TODAY.



It's a cool airplane/rocket print (to match his awesome airplane room decor) and you can see the inside is a checked brown. Cutting the fabric and making it was EASY. It's, duh, a huge square, with the ends sewn up so there are loops. Like no big deal. The worst part was all the afterthought... getting the double curtain rod hardware, finding dowels that were long enough, buying a stud finder, finding a spot in the room that worked, getting the drill out, more measuring, etc. I'm terrible with the "screw gun." I don't know why Shane didn't volunteer to do it for me but he didn't :-)

There also was some delay because up until recently Wesley has still been mean to his books. He has ripped off covers, broken board books in two, taken out a clump of pages here and there... sigh. But we haven't had a lot of book drama in the last few months, so I thought he was ready! He seemed excited when it was up. Fun surprise for him.

Now I hope he doesn't break the wooden dowels or mess with it too much. I had a heck of a time getting it all screwed and I even missed the stud once and had to try again. Sigh. The dowels are barely long enough.

As icing on the cake, not too long ago I repurposed an already-crafted-but-no-longer-relevant $1 wooden frame from Michael's. I covered it with a fabric scrap and I think it looks awesome! I had considered mod-podging it afterwards but I really like it just the way it is, so I don't want to take that step and risk hating the finished product.


I told Wesley we can pick whatever picture he wants to put in it. For now, he's happy with him as a baby with Dad on the beach.

More on my projects list...
  • Tooth fairy pillow
  • Burp rags for baby shower gifts (got TWELVE yards of fabric cut this week, so we're ready to sew!)
  • Linens for a bread warmer basket
  • Jewelry shelf
  • Family Home Evening chart
  • and more. many more. 

No comments: