Friday, December 19, 2014

summer round-up: august

I wanted to finish "journaling" about August. 

I mentioned in my last post that I went to an overnight 11-year-old scout camp. It was fun to be with my friends and some nice ladies, but there wasn’t a lot I needed to do so I maybe didn’t even need to go. Maybe next year I can get out of it! It was cool to get away for a night. I like camping. I’ve liked camping ever since I was a kid. One of these days I want to sleep under the stars.

Here are the boys with their marshmallow shooters, haha.


And me and the other Primary presidency members who went. Love them.


The kids loved the beach. All summer we went to the beach a lot. In September, before school started, we were going to the beach every single day, for a couple of hours. I’d bring a camping chair and a book, and the kids would wade and throw rocks and laugh. It was divine.


Every year in the summer the local municipalities host these “Night Out” events centered around crime prevention, healthy living, happy communities, etc. We’ve gone to Edmonds Night Out for the past couple years, but this year we missed it. Luckily we could hit Mukilteo Night Out, haha. The best parts were a booth telling you not to speed, where kids could take a softball and throw it and this monitor thing would tell them how fast the ball flew – it looked like one of those things that tells you how fast you’re going in a school zone, you know? Anyway, that was fun. 

Wesley did the bouncy activity, which put him in a Velcro suit and encouraged him to stick himself to a wall like a fly on flypaper. It was funny! He jumped! Check out the video, haha!
 








This is them eating otter pops in a vintage 1960s community transit bus. About 10 second later Laurel spills her whole otter pop on the floor of this very-important-historic-vehicle. I was mortified. And found some paper towels, stat.


Cuties in the cop car...


Laurel got all suited up to skateboard (thank you YMCA), but then chickened out and didn’t do it.


We had free hot dogs and chips. Wesley spun a wheel and won a HUGE gift bag from Walgreens which included a – ta-dah! – pedometer! Which provided us hours of fun and the fastest pedometer death to date. He left it outside overnight two days later and it got wet with dew and was toast.

We also did a downtown adventure. Seattle art museums have a Free First Thursday every month, and I like to take the kids every once in awhile. I like to encourage them to think about the art, notice the pictures and shapes, talk about what they think. It doesn’t always work but sometimes it does. Of course we also rode the bus – a double decker bus!! – and played in the Westlake community center. They do special stuff during the summer I guess for families like us. We visited my old company on the 32nd floor and Wesley got ahold of my phone and took some pictures! 









I love hanging out downtown. Of course we hit the bakery, too, and got some gigantic cookies. (Not pictured. But believe me, they are gigantic.)

Obviously it was a wonderful day if this is how he looks after.... we love that he takes the cordless phones to bed. We use them as intercoms (no house line), so he just plays with them. It's funny.


The next day was Friday and I went to book club. The next day was Saturday and my father died. I’m kind of looking back at my life in a “before August 9” segment and “after August 9” segment.

When we left for Maryland I had to cancel a lot of our plans for August, so there was a decent list of things we didn’t get to do this year that I’ll try to fit back in next year. Summers are wonderful and I love spending time with my kids.
  • Taste of Edmonds… I like to get in during the early free admission part
  • Evergreen State Fair
  • Camping with the Cub Scout pack
  • Playing in Lake Goodwin and spending the night at our friend Vicki’s cabin
  • Kids Bowl Free
  • Free Parks Days at any of the State of Washington parks
  • Greenlake wading pool
  • Picking blueberries
  • Regal $1 movie or movies in the park
  • Canning 50 lbs of peaches…. Bummer to miss that, haha!

It’s nice to think about happy summers during this cold winter. Well technically the first day of winter is Sunday! It’s going to be a long one, I can feel it.

No comments: