Wednesday, August 13, 2008

anything that reminds of brad pitt...

As I mentioned earlier, I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately on 88.5 KPLU (a community service of Pacific Lutheran University). The music is great to dance around the room with a fussy swaddled baby, bouncing and calming him. But, the other night I realized exactly why I like the jazz tunes:

drumroll

The music reminds me of the Ocean's movies. I love those movies! Well... I guess I have a love/dislike relationship with those movies, since I feel a little devious rooting for the "bad" guys, i.e., the guys breaking the law and hoping to get away with it. It's weird to watch a movie like that. But regardless of my personal morality, those movies are really fun and the jazz adds a definite flavor.

On a related note, I wonder how jazz musicians come up with the names of their songs? I mean, there are usually no words, so to me the song titles are arbitrary. Here are a few of the weirder ones that I've heard the last couple days:
  • Watermelon man
  • Sweet sucker
  • Polka dots and moon beams
Yes, those are names of actual jazz songs.

Anyway, I suppose I'm also feeling the Ocean's 11 vibe since Bernie Mac died, and I need to honor him by watching a few of his films. Another great actor lost in 2008. What kind of strange year is it shaping up to be? I honored Heath Ledger by watching A Knight's Tale every day for a week back in January.

But Bernic Mac, he was fun to watch. I also loved him in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, one of my favorites (way better that the first. The first sucks. Don't even watch it). We love the part where he smacks the surfer's stomach and yells "It's grape!" (referring to flavored surfboard wax). In fact, I smack Shanester's belly, yelling "it's grape!," in Bernic Mac fashion all the time. So his legacy will live on in our home.

Ahh, jazz and Bernie Mac. What good are blogs if you can't talk about whatever you want?

P.S. Did anyone understand Ocean's 12? I've watched it several times and I still don't get it. I usually feel the same way about Mission Impossible (the first Tom Cruise movie). Some movies I can watch over and over again and still not get. I don't think I'm clueless... they're just confusing.

1 comment:

jeff said...

I understand that Ocean's 12 SUCKED! I hate that movie. George Clooney is amazing (and very handsome, if the people who say he looks like me are to be believed), but he shouldn't get involved in franchise movies (see: Batman & Robin). Or maybe Ocean's 12 was like jazz...you have to watch the movie that WASN'T made.