Wednesday, September 17, 2008

safeway should totally pay me

My good deed for the day:

I missed the mailman. I had 5 letters I wanted to get out today. Safeway, up the road, has mail pick up at 12:30 pm. Sure I could make it if I drove, but what if I walked? Some pleasant cardiovascular activity for the day! So, I strapped on the Wes-man in a baby carrier (handmade for me by Melani, thank you thank you!), and we started a walk.

To give you frame of reference, I live at about 29th, and Safeway is at about 37th. Not too far. A good walk. Even a hill or two.

But then!

I remembered I saw a Safeway cart in front of the apartments next door. Some looney no doubt dumped it; how rude.

I grabbed the cart! And off on our journey...

Until!

Halfway there, I came across another ditched Safeway cart. Wowsers!

So, imagine: Me, with a squirmy baby strapped to my chest, my bills in one hand, two nestled Safeway carts in the other, crossing Highway 99 (i.e., busy thoroughfare) at lunch time, with beads of sweat on my forehead and a look of determination in my eye. Success. I arrived at the P.O. drop box on time, and Safeway got two AWOL carts safely returned.

What a fun morning!

4 comments:

Ann said...

you crack me up!

Amy said...

They SHOULD pay you! At the very least, karma will pay you back :) Way to go! Maybe Wes will sleep now because you returned two Safeway carts...

Just a though.

wandering nana said...

They at least should have given you a free drink. You are such a good woman and you just taught your son a lesson about service... I know he's little but it is amazing what they remember "P

Marianne Hales Harding said...

You are a wonderwoman! :-) I agree that you've built up some major good karma :-)