Tuesday, September 2, 2008

struggles with semantics

Today, a few English phrases and terms I don't really like and why:

  • "Screaming Bloody Murder": As I have been making a lot of new friends with little babies, we of course complain about our babies' crying, and I hear this phrase many many many times during a single get together. I just don't really think I like it. I mean, imagine your exclamation if you were witnessing a manslaughter or being attacked yourself, versus your exclamation if you were very hungry. I just think they are different. Blood-curling versus simply uncomfortable? I've been making a habit not to use this phrase, since I just don't think it applies to a tiny baby. Wesley sure can wail, but not like Hitchcock's Psycho or anything.

  • "Binky" or "Plugger": I just don't like these words. They just rub me the wrong way, I don't know why. I refuse to use them to describe a pacifier. I have a friend who calls it a "paci" and that is cool with me. I call it a pacifier or a sucker. Where did "binky" come from anyway??

  • "Glass Ceiling": OK, now this term, it makes sense. It's a good analogy. Just don't use it 15 times in your quote in the New York Times. "Blah blah blah glass ceiling, blah blah blah glass ceiling, blach blah blah glass ceiling," OK I GET IT! We will be shattering a glass ceiling! I recommend minimal use. I must say that it's interesting to note that whoever wins this election, history will be made. I think that was part of McCain's plan.

  • "Pick Your Brain": The problem with this is that there is no other way to say it, besides "I'd like to ask your opinion on something." "Pick your brain" is so much simpler. Yet I imagine myself with tweezers picking lint off of your sticky brain tissue, and it's just disturbing. So I try not to use this one as well.
That's all for now. Any you guys can't stand?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"He must have a temper like a red head." I don't like that one. I hear it quite a lot. I know it's harmless, but I still don't like how my sons are label even before they know their personalities.

Danielle said...

I have noticed we say "happy as a clam" a lot around our house - which is probably a good thing if you think about it. What does that mean? Are clams happy?

Marianne Hales Harding said...

I think Binky was once a brand name, just so you know.

Also, I know there are phrases I hate but I can't think of any right now (just came home from a date with my hubby and I'm all smiles) so I'll do one that I love for no reason at all..."Bob's your uncle." 10 points to whoever can correctly use that in a sentence! :-)

PS Clams are perpetually smiling (think about it) and therefore happy, happy, happy :-)