Friday, September 26, 2008

knowing me better than i know myself

While nursing Mr. Wesley, I like to keep myself entertained with a diverse pile of stuff to match any mood: a set of scriptures, an Ensign, old Readers Digests, the current Parents magazine, brochures on child development, and a book of Jumbles. The latter I recently pulled out of my bedside stand. I think mom gave me the book before I was married, and I had done one or two and no more. I am proud to say I am almost 100% done with the Jumbles.

I love Jumbles. When I was in elementary school (I think!), I'd sit on dad's lap in his recliner and we'd do Jumbles together. What is a Jumble, you ask? Oh heavens...

This here is actually what I call a "super Jumble," since it has six words. Most only have four. Super Jumbles are in the Sunday paper.

Anyway, I love Jumbles. And my mom bought me a Jumble book knowing I love Jumbles. And now that I finally have time to get through the book, I am so deliriously happy! I've even resumed doing the Jumbles in the paper that I used to skip over in my quest to finish the paper as quickly as possible and move on with my life.

In thinking fondly of my Jumble book, I've come to consider quite a few gifts that at first glance seemed odd, then turned out to be 100% absolutely perfect. Just what I needed. I just didn't know it.

  • One year, "Santa" left me a fingernail "hygiene" kit in my stocking: nail clippers, a nail file, tweezers, and a under-the-nail-scraper thing. OK whatever, Santa, thanks. But I still have it and I use it every day. I've replaced the tweezers and clippers but they all still fit perfectly in their little case. Wow, that Santa knew.
  • Another year for Christmas I got a robe. I never had used a robe. OK mom, sure. But, then I went off to college and in the dormitories I fell in love with that robe. I just recently replaced it with a new robe. Now I'm a convert to robe wearing! I love them!
  • Once, mom and dad saw the clutter of my shoes collecting behind my door in my room and bought me a "shoe bag" that hung over my door. OK whatever, parentals! But they knew. That shoe bag was a blessing. I used it, and suddenly I could open my door all the way! Wow!
  • And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention dear Shanester here, who bought me a shoe rack for Christmas a couple years ago. Thanks, Shanester. I gave him a list of stuff I wanted that year and every single thing he got me came from that list, except for the shoe rack. He knew I needed one and he kindly encouraged me to use it. Ahh yes, I did need one. And I use it.

I think the trick, with a gift, is to pay attention. You know your friends and family. Listen to them when they are just chatting away, and you'll discover interesting things. When Christmas comes around, you'll know exactly what to do. I'm so fortunate my family sometimes knows me better than I know myself. Or they were so darn sick of the piles of shoes. Either way, I truly have benefited. Thanks, guys.

5 comments:

Daddio said...

Ahh ... those were the days when we solved the Jumbles together. How much do you think that helped to build your vocabulary?

angelalois said...

I'm not sure about vocab... but I do know I can sure unscramble words really quickly! Sometimes just a glance is all it takes!

Daddio said...

While we are remembering past years, one thing comes to mind as I write this:

I am now enjoying eating the heel of a fresh, piping hot loaf of home baked bread! The one you usually stole before anyone else could get their hands on it .... LOL

I would love to share it with you now ...

Corey said...

You right on track with ideas for presents. I hate it when Jeff gives me a list of things he wants for Christmas and then expects that he will actually get everything on that list. What's up with that! We only ever got one or maybe two things on our "dream list." Plus it totally takes away the surprise out of gift giving. No fun! So yes, let us all pay a little closer attention to those around us this year so we will truly give something needed and useful.

momnmb said...

How sweet that hubby is paying attention to what you really needed.