Thursday, January 29, 2009

creepy crawlies

I've got some funny videos to share and thought this was the best place to do them. I don't quite think I'm ready to post to YouTube and have my private life out there for all to see and forward and link or whatever. Although I do have some girlfriends who post videos of their babies to see how many hits they get.

Wesley is officially crawling, and we have had such a fun time cheering him on and watching those feeble first movements turn into more confident locomotion. Wow. I found it interesting that when we look over our files for the last month, we hardly took any photos of the little guy. All we took was video.

Here's my favorite so far (his face is not usually that scary or the drool that apparent, but can you blame the poor guy for concentrating so profoundly?):



HILARIOUS. I laugh every time I watch that video.

And one more, to show how enticing Gabby is:



Since babies tend to put everything in their mouths, the first time Wesley finally got to Gabby unsupervised (we were close by, but maybe not close enough), he lunged toward her with mouth open and tongue hanging out. Luckily, we were able to stop him from getting a mouthful of cat hair. Ick. He tends to grab tufts of her hair by the fistful as he "pets" her. Lucky for us, she is pretty mellow when it comes to him. I remember Whimsy once said that she felt that her cats recognized that Whimsy had a kitten of her own. Which is totally cute.

But yeah, Wesley is increasingly intrigued by Gabby, and she takes it all in stride. Usually, if she feels that he is a little to close for comfort, she just gets up and walks away. And Wesley follows. And she walks some more. It's really funny to watch. Just once he grabbed her tail with enough force to make her let out a little kitty yelp. But, interestingly, she has never growled at him or swiped at him, although there have been plenty of toddlers over the years that she has growled or swiped at. I imagine she's getting used to him and watching him grow in the same way we are getting used to him and watching him grow.

Sometimes, when I'm nursing Wesley on the futon in his room, Gabby will come and cuddle up next to us and purr. It is such a sweet family moment. And when Shane is home and all four of us are there, my it's just picturesque and brings a tear to my eye. Just kidding. But it is cute.

Wesley has also become aware of her food and water dishes and likes to investigate them. Yesterday he grabbed the water dish and before we could rush to his side, he had managed to spill it all over the floor. Luckily there was no food, or he would have tried to eat it. Sheesh.

So yeah. We have a curious little boy on our hands. Who is unstoppable.

P.S. It took me ALL DAY to load these videos. So I hope you appreciate them. I used Google Video and I was confused for most of the day.

5 comments:

momnmb said...

LOL! Thanks for taking s much time to do this Angela. He's so cute! I just want to squeeze him.

Danielle said...

I love how in that second video he has to stop and take little tummy breaks. I'm really surprised your cat is so chill.

Heidi said...

Angela, these are so cute! I just love Wesley! I also loved the Summit ward Talent Show video! That was hillarious!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Yeah, Buster was much more patient with children when he had a "pup" of his own. And he's just gotten more mellow as he has aged. Now he is positively baby hungry. It's funny.

Corey said...

You must have the best cat out there to tolerate a little crawler. Our cat has never been the same since Hyrum learned to crawl 3 years ago. She definately got knocked off as being the princess of the house. I think she'd much prefer being an "only child" again. Wesley is so cute when he crawls! He's very determined!