Friday, January 23, 2009

well we're off

We're off to see my folks, which includes taking bebe on an airplane. If you recall, we are doing standby tickets which sounds fun and exciting but in fact is making me very nervous. We'll get to DC no problem, but coming home may be another story. And we've got to get home sometime!

So in a short post to say adieu, I leave you with a couple thoughts.
  1. Per a news article today, President Obama today ended a ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform or promote abortions. What I found interesting though is this:

    Known as the "Mexico City policy," the ban has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents since Ronald Reagan established it in 1984. Democrat Bill Clinton ended the ban in 1993, but Republican George W. Bush re-instituted it in 2001 as one of his first acts in office.
    Since 1984, presidents have gone back and forth on this issue. Geez. Can the United States make up its mind? I think I read once that to other nations the U.S. is kind of annoying because we change directions every 4 years (or so). If a president somewhere else wants something done, and current president says no, they just wait 4 years until someone else is in office and try again. How ridiculous is that. I wish we could come up with a solution that works for everyone. But no, we have to be so so so divided on issues like this.

  2. I picked up someone's McDonald's trash in our condo parking lot this morning: the bag, the receipt, two Big Mac boxes, a coffee cup, an OJ cup, and more. I left the pickle, since I figured it's organic matter and will biodegrade sometime. It made me realize: I really hate apartment/condo living. Maybe it's good for some things (pay homeowner dues and I don't have to mow the lawn or tend any flowers), but I just think house living is so much better. What do you guys think? Are you people in houses so much happier? Or is it so much more expensive to live there? Is the expense worth it? Does anyone like multi-family living?

  3. And finally, a hilarious video:


Maryland, here we come!

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I'd have to agree with you Angela about multifamily living. As we know (and one of our fav. songs from high school tells us) the world is full of stupid people. Even in a small complex of just 20 people we have our share of weirdos (not to say that I'm not one of them). Sure in your own house you have to mow the lawn and do a lot of more stuff on your own, but it is YOUR house. I think the expense is worth it, we are looking forward to when I get my masters, have a few hundred dollars more a month coming in, so we can get our own place. :)

Bonnie Rivas said...

I have not missed mutli-family living at ALL since we moved into our house almost 2 years ago! Actually, when I moved back to SLC and lived in a duplex, that wasn't mad at all, but i felt more like living in a house that someone else (who I happened to never saw or ran into) also lived next door... Luckily we haven't had to spend too much on home repairs thusfar, and since we haven't had the money yet to actually put in a lawn, there's no mowing! Always look at the bright side. :)