Friday, February 27, 2009

it isn't even fair

I went to a new dentist yesterday. I last went in July (not that long ago!); I'd been seeing the same dentist in Seattle every 6 months for the last 5 years and decided I needed a dentist closer to where I live.

The breaking news: I have FOUR CAVITIES. I am so bummed. Part of me thinks I should go to my other dentist and see if he'd say the same thing, since his hygienist didn't even allude to me being "in trouble" seven months ago. Boo.

The worst part is, from what I understand, there was nothing I could have done to prevent these cavities. Read on:

  • The tops of your molars have teeny tiny little grooves, which are so so so small no amount of vigilant brushing can protect them.

  • When you're a kid, you you get sealants over the tops of your teeth to prevent decay in the teeny little grooves. Well, sealants don't last forever, and by the looks of me, I'd say they wear off in 10 or 15 years. So now all my teeny grooves are "open for business."

  • I heard a pediatric dentist explain once that some people are just more prone to cavities than others. It's partially genetic, and can even be traced to a bacteria that some people catch and others don't (like a propensity for cold sores, I think).

  • After my appointment I told a friend about my four cavities and how devastated I was, and she said, "oh yeah! I've heard babies just suck the calcium out of you!" What? She explained her sister-in-law had ELEVEN cavities after her first child was born. Whoa! I've always thought I got enough calcium (with all the ice cream, I mean milk, that I consume), but maybe this baby-nursing-funky hormone thing just ruined me!
As I've discussed previously, I'm a big "I-can-do-anything-if-I-set-my-mind-to-it" person, so to have someone tell me, "no, you can't, you're basically going to get cavities no matter what," really really really irks me.

One would think a good option would be to ask for new sealants. Re-seal me baby. But, insurance companies (I was told) don't cover sealants for adults. Double-boo!

So. I don't know if there is an answer. I just want to be able to protect myself for the future, and the professionals yesterday couldn't give me an answer on how to do that.

On the bright side, the dentist explained that decay happens all over teeth, and the only areas I've ever had decay are the tops of my molars. So if I keep up with flossing and brushing, etc., I shouldn't get decay in between teeth or anywhere else. That's good to know. It's just sad that I think after all this is done with, all of my molars will be filled. I just hope I don't have to get dentures.

And, just so everyone feels my pain, they can't even fill all of the cavities in one sitting. I have to go back in TWICE. They only want to numb one side of my face at a time (I have 2 on each side). Triple-boo!

But. We should end positively. A couple years ago I made a New Year's resolution to floss everyday. WOW. What a difference it makes. If you don't floss often, DO IT. It'll change your life. Maybe I'd be worse off if I didn't floss. I shudder to consider it.

That's all for now. I'm bummed. If you need me, I'll be listerene-ing.

13 comments:

The Little Twining's said...

I have 5 cavities, and Brad has 4. I brush and floss everyday. But I guess the lack of fluoride in the water here has helped to contribute to my cavities. We have no money to get them fixed. So, I guess I'm just going to have to get falsies by the time i'm 30...sad day!

Danielle said...

A couple years ago, I went to a new dentist here in ballard who told me that my sealants were wearing off but he offered me an "adult" version where they basically coat the tops of your molars with porcelain or something. I had it done and he told me I'd be good for life now. Who knows...I like to think it was worth it. I've never had a cavity. Your OB never told you to take a calcium supplement? I've been told my multiple docs that no matter how much milk you drink, you should def. take a supplement.

Daddio said...

Sheesh, dear daughter of mine! You don't base decisions on whether you need something on whether someone else pays for it!

We paid for those sealants out of pocket because you needed it, and there was no insurance coverage. We made sacrifices in other areas when needed (remember we had no cable for years?)

Janelle said...

It's inaccurate to say that some people just have a propensity for cold sores. Cold sores come from the herpes virus, and once you get it, you've got it.

As for the baby...pregnant women are at a much higher risk for periodontal disease, but I don't know if breast-feeding increases that risk.

Good job on the daily flossing, though! I rarely floss...just never got in the habit.

Heidi said...

Hahahhh funny joke there at the end!

The Little Twining's said...

I actually have 3 cavities, and the dude said they were somewhat "minor." Two of them are in between my teeth. In between! What? So, ever since that wonderful visit I has brushed and flossed every day! Except maybe twice. But still...you are right Angela, it changes lives. hooray for having to pay for 8 cavities out of pocket!
--Brad

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Ok. Here's my cavity story: I am one of those people who always had a cavity when I went in for a cleaning (every 6 months!). Oh, the great sadness. Then we moved to England and didn't have access to good dental care (the one dentist I went to in England suggested that I wait and go to the dentist when I went home for a visit because US dentists are "better trained than UK dentists"). Anyhow, I had already been flossing but I became super vigilant with flossing and those anticavity mouthwashes. Then I started using little teeny pipecleaner type things to brush in between my teeth (where most of my cavities happened to end up). The result? Nearly 4 years without cavities. 4 years! This, after years and years of cavities every 6 months.

Moral of the story: daily dental stuff makes a difference.

Oh, and kids do suck the calcium right out of you. Murder on your teeth.

Daddio said...

If breast feeding makes your calcium levels drop, then you need to be drinking more "moo" juice yourself.

-Moo juice aficionado

Kurt said...

Wow, don't get me started on dental care stuff. I went for like 3 years without seeing a dentist to find out one of the sealants the dentist in Provo put in was way crappy and all of my childhood sealants weren't really doing too well anymore. So I had like 5 or 6 fillings, a crown, and I need another crown! YIKES! Good news is I finally got into the habit of flossing everyday and it looks like I'll be able to keep my teeth in relatively good condition now that I have a dentist I can trust.

Danielle said...

Your Daddio is right about biting the bullet and just paying for the dental care. As far as calcium goes, I have done a little research into this lately, with the little one being a milk-fiend and have learned some things: 1)Drinking milk is about the least-efficient method of getting calcium because whatever kind is in cow's milk is not super-well absorbed by humans (makes sense, we are not cows). 2)The best sources of calcium are dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale & chard - and I highly recommend trying them out if you don't cook with them, they are delish. 3)Most of us in the great northwest are vitamin D deficient which means we are not absorbing calcium properly. It can take up to a half hour of sunlight up here in the arctic to get your daily dose.
So, get a calcium supplement that has a good amount of vitamin D in it. Vitamin D deficiency is also linked to Multiple Schlorosis too. All these things you have to supe-up on when you are feeding the little one.
And that is the end of my lecture on nutrition. :)

angelalois said...

You guys are hilarious! What an outpouring of comments and information and stories. Cavities are poopy. Maybe I should spring for adult sealants since it appears I am one with a propensity for cavities. Although I do keep up with the flossing and oral care. Sigh. Let's just all have a renewed effort for dental hygiene!

KG said...

Hey, I totally believe in getting and keeping sealants at all costs. The money you dish out for them is miniscule compared to what you might be paying in the future for tooth repair. I have had sealants since I was little, and had them replaced as needed, and no cavities here! So, get them!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Dental care is a passionate subject! :-)