Friday, February 13, 2009

octuplets

Some thoughts:

(If you've been living under a rock, the gist can be read here)

  • I appreciate that this woman wasn't afraid of a big family. Lots of people are "afraid," I think, of big families. Maybe I'd even count myself one of them. But this woman said, "no, I have a lot of love to give, I want a big family." Good for her. Growing up, I knew a family with 15 kids. They are all healthy, happy, and super thrilled to be in their family. Big families are not bad things. (I always said for myself, though, that I'd have a hard time emotionally supporting lots of kids, you know, getting their names right and stuff. But that's just me.)

  • I should, however, mention, that one baby is difficult enough with me and Shane involved. I don't know how she plans to get 8 newborns on a feeding and sleep schedule. But, at the core of the issue, is the fact that I think a mom and dad are both so important to a baby. She is depriving those children of a father, simply because she wanted to do it "on her own." And in this case, as it was in Jurassic Park, just because she can, doesn't mean she should. Not only will it be super difficult, but it's a disservice to those kids. You could say that argument is old-fashioned, and I could say any argument to the contrary is feminist. But after we're done arguing, those kids still will not have a dad. And that's too bad.

  • I've read that a reason the woman wanted all six embryos implanted (of which two split to form twins), was because all six were made in the lab and she considered all six children. It all boils down to the when-does-life-start argument. She didn't want any created embryo sitting there, un-implanted, since it would then be a child without a home, or something. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, yes, an xx and xy had been formed and so technically I guess that's a baby, but it's in a petri dish so I just don't know. It's not like it's in a belly. So her argument is extreme, but valid. And I don't know the right answer.

  • In the same respects, her decision NOT to selectively abort I 100% agree with. Selective abortion is just just just awful. I read a Dr. Laura book, "Parenthood By Proxy: Don't Have Them If You Won't Raise Them," a fascinating book, which spoke of selective abortion and I shudder every time I think about it. To choose one baby over another is just a terrible thought. I don't know how anyone can do that.

  • Is the fertility doctor at fault here? Maybe. Judging by this woman's character, his first mistake was to create six embryos. Maybe he should have only made four or something.

  • I read that in a lot of instances when large groups of babies are born, companies like Pampers and Similac and whoever jump at the chance to "sponsor" the families so they have things taken care of. And no one wants to touch this woman with a 10-foot pole. Her publicity has yielded no help (except for maybe a book deal or two). Actually, I feel for her. I wish one or more of these companies would help. She needs it, for heaven's sake. I know how expensive diapers are, and I know it's impossible to nurse 8 babies at once. Is she irresponsible? Maybe. Should someone help? Yes. Does anyone want that someone to be them? Apparently not.

  • Other articles have spoken of how the taxpayers of California are going to pay for these babies. That makes a lot of people mad. I guess I can see why they are mad, but what's the difference between these babies and the thousands of others born as singlets to "unprepared" moms who don't care and "work the system" living off welfare? The difference is that these 8 babies have a mom who loves them. Maybe she can't afford them, but she's going to love them. And not give up on them. She has also said, and I have no idea how she plans this, that she doesn't intend to be on welfare for very long.

Personally, the Shanester and I waited until we knew we could afford a baby. That was important to us. Even though that obviously wasn't important to this mom, I am surprised that I don't care. She is completely different than me in her respect for her burden to financially support her babies, and I don't care. I can't really explain my way out of that one. I really feel like she needs help. I want to be mad; logic tells me I should be angry at her for doing this. But as a mother, I'm not mad. Beautiful babies are worth it.

So I don't know the answer. The Republican in me tells me to take responsibility for everything. If I get myself into a pickle it's my own dang fault and I shouldn't expect any help. If I'm smart enough I can handle it.

But here is this woman who totally did not follow my Republican-mantra above, and yet I want to help. Maybe she is totally brainless, but I think she deserves our support. I can't explain it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's not really the woman I would support but the children. I have my views on it of course. But after having two of my own I feel different about children.

KG said...

I don't know the answer either.

I read an article where they talked about "baby addiction" and even though no one had professionally talked to her, this article was basically claiming that she could be suffering from that. I kind of got mad at that, simply because by talking about "baby addiction" and then having more than half of the article about this woman, the media is diagnosing her with it. I also feel a little sad that people are so angry with her. I understand their concerns, but some people are taking it way too far.

No one knows her real circumstances. No one really has the right to judge her. No one can definitively say that what she did was wrong. Yet people are tearing her apart, saying all kinds of things about her that are most likely not true, and turning all of society against her when she will need the help of those around her. What happened to charity, people? Are we so selfish now that we turn our backs when someone makes a choice we don't understand? Sure, she might be suffering from depression, baby addiction, whatever, but still. There are children involved, and a mother who needs help, even if it's just our sympathy for how much harder her life is now.

Now, I'm not saying that people don't need to be responsible for their own choices. She did get herself into this "pickle", as you said. But I think that some people honestly get themselves in pickles when they don't realize how bad it's going to be. And that's when the goodness in all of us is supposed to take over and we help our fellow man, even if they are crazy.

I hate the feeling that what I'm reading in the news might not be completely true. The media makes us feel like we know everything about this woman now, and have the right to judge her. Anyway, that's my take on it. I am mad at the media mostly.

Stacey said...

I really struggle with the embryo thing. A friend of mine did in vitro and just didn't feel right about 'destroying' the embryos that they didn't transfer so she continues to pay a monthly storage fee to keep them frozen.

When I saw this story, I wondered if this woman has some of the same feelings - that they were created and she can't consider destroying them. (And I think most doctors create embryos with ALL of the eggs they retrieve to increase the likelihood that they'll get some good, strong candidates). It all boils down to when you believe life is created. I wish someone could tell us for sure and put to rest all the controversy on abortion and issues like this!

Anonymous said...

It's a miracle in a tragic situation.

I've been following this story as well, and I feel for the children - and I hope they are taken care of. But this mother infuriates me. She is selfish and clearly not able to raise these children. She is not capable of it, and was not even before these 8.

I could go on and state every reason why I feel she is an unfit mother based on her words and her interviews (direct quotes, not what the media makes her out to be) however, at the risk of seeming to "judge" her I'll refrain. Let's just say it's not the media that is turning people away from her, it's her. Her actions, her decisions, her selfishness. People should be held responsible for their actions, that isn't judgment.

However, there are 14 others to think about besides her. This is where the compassion comes in. I agree the children deserve it. They need help, they will not be able to do it on their own. The need for those 14 outweighs the actions of the 1. But that woman. I cringe when I think about her decisions and what she is doing to her children. I hope that there will be those to help, for her children's sake.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Well, I think the children do deserve help, poor little things. The doctor should have his license reviewed, if not revoked.