Thursday, June 25, 2009

break the cycle

Here comes another semi-political, semi-religious post, although it doesn't have to be that way. I read the most amazing article this weekend, and I think everyone should read it. In a nutshell, the Los Angeles Times spotlighted a local graduate who was super studious, had been accepted to Harvard -- and had been homeless her entire life.

It seems to me that homelessness and destitution are cycles that keep repeating in our society, the way bad fathers raise sons who become bad fathers or drug users or abusers show their children that drug use and abuse is normal. Somewhere along the lines -- and some would argue this is the government's responsibility -- the cycle has to be broken. Children have to realize or be taught that no, I need to be a good father, drug use is detrimental, abuse is wrong. Because I was raised this way gives me no liberty to continue to suffer or make my family suffer.

This girl did it. Homelessness was no excuse. Maybe she was also extraordinarily gifted -- I'll agree with that -- but she was also motivated, persistent, determined. I really feel like we can accomplish anything we set our minds to, if we are dedicated enough. It's the nature of agency, and I love it. I really feel like God made us as intelligent, interactive human beings, and we can win with the cards we're dealt. He doesn't force us into the "slavery" of homelessness or addiction or temptation to watch us suffer. He wants to see us use our intelligence and agency to make a better life for ourselves.

Think of The Biggest Loser, The Amazing Race, Survivor. A lot of the success on those shows comes from determination and willpower more than anything. Anyone can do anything, no matter how big or small or how advantaged or disadvantaged at the onset.

But I digress. This girl's story is so much cooler than reality TV. She didn't feel like the world (or government!) owed her anything. She could do it on her own. She didn't want any favors or advantages or sympathy. She turned the cards she was dealt into a winning hand. I am so impressed!

And maybe -- unfortunately! -- this article will make me more judgmental from now on, since I'll probably never think again, "well that person is homeless so they can't (fill in the blank)." I've always deep down believed that if someone wanted something bad enough, they could do it. But I've worked in downtown Seattle for almost 6 years now, and I still see the same panhandlers.

Maybe this is a lesson for all of us to just dream a little bit bigger, reach a little bit higher, and work a little bit harder. I know I could; I know I have potential I'm not using. What could I accomplish if I really tried?

2 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

that's awesome story. I got goosebumps. This attitude is what made America great - I wish it was more prevalent in society today. She is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing her story and your thoughts. I love it!

Kurt said...

It is exactly the attitude all of us in America need to take. Too many people want to play the victim and want the government (ultimately through their neighbors' tax dollars) to do everything for them. I'd like to believe in 'the cycle' but since I have become a parent I have learned that no matter what we want to think about nature vs. nurture A LOT of our personalities were formed even before we were born here on Earth. If 'the cycle' mentality were true, how does anybody explain people who were raised in good families with two parents who loved them that just 'go off the deep end'? Granted, yes, we as parents have the responsibility to do all in our power to teach our children and it does give them an advantage, but I also believe like you -that anybody can make anything happen if they really put their mind to it. I see in my own son, he is such an amazing boy, and I don't really know how much of that comes from my efforts and how much of it is his already established personality from the pre-mortal life. Look at any family, our family for instance, all three of us children all have different personalities and have encountered different struggles through our lives, even though we were raised in the same home with the same parents. Interesting thoughts and an interesting post. I hope my comment makes some sort of sense.