Thursday, June 11, 2009

having a ball

If any of you are new moms or old moms or just wondering folk and would like a news update on what the hot hot hot toy is of the moment for your urban baby, please consider:


The Playskool Busy Ball Popper (no that is not my kid).

I went to my share of playgroups when Wesley was a wee wee infant, and I didn't think it was a coincidence that um, every house I went to that had a toddler under the roof had one of these toys. It plays songs when it pops the balls up in the air, like renditions of William Tell's Overture (very funny) and Rockin' Robin (which every time reminds me of that episode of the Office where Andy recorded it acapella on his cell phone).

One of our friends, Stacey, said her son loved the Ball Popper so much that it stopped working. Luckily for her, she hosted a playgroup and some other kids started beating on it, and it came back to life. Eventually it died and she chucked it, but it goes to show how hot a toy this is.

Contemporary! Musical! Resilient! I knew it was birthday present numero uno for little man's first birthday.

The icing on the cake (haha not literally, although birthdays do have cake and icing) was when a random guy at work yesterday was showing me pictures of his adorable grandson, and what should be in the pictures but the Busy Ball Popper! I said, "We have one of those at home!" And he said, "My grandson loves it!"

Seriously, I'm like a commercial. It gets better.

When we had our birthday get-together at Grandma Gottula's house, Wesley's awesome family brought him other gifts. Evidently, the Busy Ball Popper has "toy relatives," you know, toys from the same "family" that are a little different. Please consider:


The Playskool Busy Ball Choo Choo. Wesley's Aunt Krista bought this for him! I was floored, number 1, since it was so darn close to the Busy Ball Popper. She said she almost bought him the Ball Popper, but at the last minute decided to get the Choo Choo since she works for the railroad. Very cute. I considered taking our Ball Popper back. Luckily for all of us, I decided to keep both toys. The Choo Choo's balls just go round and round, they don't pop (although his picture sure makes it look like they do, huh?), but it moves and it's good for a crawling baby. I think the Popper is good for a toddler.

Anyway, the random guy at work ALSO SAID his grandson had the Choo Choo and loved it as well! Are these toys hot or what?

So if you're wondering what to get your neighborhood kid, your own kid, a niece or nephew, or any random person on the street, the Playskool Busy Ball Popper is for you. Seriously.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Haha...those were the two toys my mom gave nathan for his first christmas. Personally I hate the ball popper, the balls fly everywhere and I don't know, it drives me nuts, but that's just me. :) Oh - and if other stuff gets stuck in it - good luck.

Svedi Pie said...

Hey! We didn't see up in 3D. Craig gets motion sickness from the 3D effect (we learned that at Coraline, which I DON"T recommend), and he said when he removed the glasses to give his eyes (and stomach) a rest that the screen was really blurry and hard to see.

Not sure if that helps you much, but I hope you enjoy the movie!

wandering nana said...

The Texas family I was visiting has one of these. It has actually made it thru 2 children so far. The 22 month old loves it now. He wore the batteries out while I was there. I must admit I even played with it a few times.

Chelle said...

Doesn't Tawnya have one of those too? Funny. I'll probably wait to buy one - just in case a new, hot toy comes out on the market before The Boy emerges and has interest in any toys. :) A lot of my friends have said to forego buying toys altogether as simple household things such as pots, pans, utensils and cardboard boxes will keep little ones engaged and busy for hours!

KG said...

I once considered buying one of these, but decided against it because I didn't want to be the one searching the house for the balls to put in the thing while my kid is following me around crying because he can't play with it without the balls. And, kids love kitchen items. They are just as happy with a pot or two, some spoons, and some kind of item they can scoop and pour, like raw beans.