Tuesday, August 18, 2009

is it worth it?

Since I've been a wife, I've been really enthusiastic about cooking. It's pretty fun to cook for an audience. I've made it my responsibility to have dinner on the table every night, and judging by the increase in my sweet husband's pant size, I feel like I'm doing a good job.

So cooks and/or moms, please consider this scenario:

Last night, I made beef stroganoff. I browned the meat. I cooked egg noodles in another pot. I chopped onion and mushrooms and added it to the meat. I made a sauce of sour cream, flour, nutmeg, salt, pepper, etc. I put it all together. I boiled some asparagus, too. And, as if that wasn't enough multi-tasking, I made rice krispie treats at the same time for later. At one point, every stove top surface was covered.

As I served dinner, I was sure to mention to Shane that the meal was "from scratch," and "not from a box," to which he replied a sort of "humm," which I interpreted as surprise even though he probably was ambivalent.

And it got me thinking. Was it really worth it? I mean, I feel better that it wasn't from a box. But I dirtied every pan we owned and gave myself a huge headache with all the preparation. And basically it tasted the same as Hamburger Helper.

What do you guys think? Is it super important to cook from scratch? What do you always do from scratch? What do you never do from scratch?

I am a fan of:
  • Cake and brownie mixes. From scratch never taste right to me. Maybe they're just not oily and fattening enough.
  • Pasta Roni. There's just no substitute. How would one make Pasta Roni from scratch?
  • Canned beans. I like dry beans, but I am never prepared enough to wash and soak them in enough time for a meal.
I much prefer:
  • Fresh vegetables to canned ones. Boy howdy by far. Frozen vegetables are a close second, but I prefer fresh any day. The trick is to remember to eat them before they go bad. I actually have a whiteboard on the fridge where I keep track of what is in the veggie drawers.
  • Cookies from scratch. No cookie mixes or prepared Nestle doughs for me. Those are lame. I don't buy a lot of cookies from the store, either. In fact, to keep my sanity, I avoid the snack food aisle altogether.
  • Avoiding Bisquick. Sometimes it's convenient, but in general I don't really like it. I like other biscuit mixes, but Bisquick just doesn't do it for me.

I am on the fence about:

  • Processed cheese and Velveeta. I just think the plastic-wrapped slices of cheese are best in grilled cheese sandwiches. And what could substitute for Velveeta? But I'm sure they're not healthy... right?
  • Canned soup. Something tells me they are loaded with sodium, msg, etc., but they are just so convenient. Making homemade soup, although rewarding, is exhausting. Very involved. Cut lots of veggies. Cook the chicken. Add the bouillon (and is that the healthiest option? that's got plenty of sodium in it, too). Let it simmer and on and on.
  • Goldfish, Ritz crackers, Nilla wafers, graham crackers. These are staples of Wesley's diet these days. Am I a bad mom? Are these all bad for my son? They're just convenient and they seem like normal enough food. I have a friend whose daughter eats these Trader Joe's plain (aka bland) rice cakes. And that's her snack food. Blah. I wouldn't even eat that stuff.

I guess I'm to the point in my life where I'm actually wondering: are my habits healthy? What could I be doing better to aid in weight loss and/or overall health? I have my son to worry about now. But is the reward worth the hassle?

As I write this, I currently am experimenting with making my own croutons for a Caesar salad for a potluck tonight... sounds dangerous...

Anyway, please chime in, I'd love to know your thoughts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'll say I understand where you're coming from and can summarize now that Adam's 3, the resolutions that have made it this far: Fresh veggies, yes. Soda, never. Period! If mommy is drinking it, tell mommy she should drink water instead, and help mommy out! But no soda for you, kid. Get it? Umm.. we did those kid micro meals for a while, and they SUCKED. they were so bland, disgusting, bad for him, processed, vitamin additive bullcrap that was TOTALLY for convenience. He eventually started looking at us like "I don't see you eating this stuff, guys."

Ann said...

I share a lot of your concerns/feelings. When Shelby was younger, I was all about homemade foods or all natural foods with no preservatives, artificial stuff, etc. I even made a whole bunch of snack foods, cereals and things from scratch so they'd be healthier. I do think homemade stuff is healthier, but I had a hard time keeping up with baking as Shelby and I got busier with our day-to-day lives. I don't know how moms can keep up. So, in the end I do what makes my life easier...like the goldfish crackers etc.

Svedi Pie said...

This is a great question because I've been thinking about it for awhile. I think eating REAL foods (aka non-processed) is super important, but takes so much time. I would love to get to the point where I make my own breads and even make my own yogurt. But then that time thing comes up again. . .

Maybe just try to get to as basic as one can. Like with canned soups look for ones with the least amount of additives and lower sodium levels.

I also think simple is going to be my motto - real foods, real simple. Good luck with it - I wish I had better input, but like I said this is the same question I'm wrestling with too!

Danielle said...

You need to read the book "in defense of food" by michael pollan. He's pretty good about laying it out there. I personally say all things in moderation, read the labels, go fresh whenever you possibly can and you'll be fine. :) Oh - and I am also one who does not by "low fat" unless it's like milk or sour cream. I'd rather just have less of the good stuff. :)

Kati said...

Great job on the croutons!

Okay, you may be sorry you asked (or at least that I saw you asked :)

I am a pretty extreme food nazi. As a general rule, processed foods do not enter our house. We do just about everything from scratch (cakes, pancakes, bread, crackers . . . ) However, I totally get that doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I'm always trying to find ways to improve and make small steps here and there. It's totally gradual. My biggest problem is ingredient lists that are a mile long including things I'm just not okay with (corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, etc). I would say that if you feel like it, pick a few small changes to make and once that's totally habit you can add something new. It's fun! (And when life gets too crazy - I do buy bread and frozen meals :)

Oh, and I like to do tons of beans at once and freeze them - then it's just as easy as canned! (I do use canned too though :)

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Oh, I think it is definitely worth it, but I don't cook from scratch every night. Not enough hours in the day sometimes! If you plan ahead and have a menu for the week it is easier to do it because you start things off in the morning (defrosting meat, soaking beans, whatever) and you arent' so stressed at dinnertime. I don't have a desire to banish all processed foods, though. I look at them as a treat and a convenience and try to be smart about it. But Emily Lara would probably have starved if I banned goldfish from my house when she was Wesley's age.