Thursday, September 3, 2009

so many books, so little time

My current reading list for your consideration:
  • I just finished: Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer (on to Breaking Dawn?)
  • I read a chapter every Sunday: Jesus The Christ, but James E. Talmage
  • I just got from the library: In the Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan (thanks to Danielle for the recommendation; I'm looking forward to it)
  • I'm in the middle of: Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert (SO FUN! my favorite part so far is the profanity-laden Italian soccer match, which had me laughing forever)
  • I started ages ago but then my brain stopped working: The Complete Book of Wills, Estates, and Trusts, by Alexander A. Bove (I was reading this when Michael Jackson died and actually was excited since I knew what was happening to his assets!)
  • I read a chapter here, a chapter there: Covenant Hearts, by Bruce C. Hafen (motivates me to be a better wife and all)
  • I try to read every day, of course: the scriptures, mostly the Book of Mormon and Doctrine & Covenents right now
  • (this just in! breaking news!) I just put on hold at the library because Whimsy is doing an online book club: The Solace of Leaving Early, by Haven Kimmel

I thought the list, although well-rounded and intriguing, was a bit ridiculous -- a little much. Either I can't commit, I love to multi-task, or I'm just plain scatterbrained. I don't think it's because I'm bored. These books are all really interesting and good. But c'mon! If I piled these puppies together, the result would be a stack of books more than two feet tall!

There was recently a "chain note" going around Facebook encouraging you to post the 15 best books you had read in your life. I started the note actually, but am still working on it. Some ones for the list, for sure, include The Belgariad by David Eddings (actually 5 books -- my favorite books), Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura, and I Don't Know How She Does It, by Allison Pearson (recommended to me by Marianne). Those are just a few of many, of course. Maybe that's a blog post for another day.

(Interestingly, I noticed the chain note about books somehow morphed into a chain note about the 15 best movies you've ever seen... I guess for those people who didn't read the book...)

Whew, that's enough links for one post. I'd love your comments on what's on your list now, if it's too much for you to handle, what I should read next, what you favorite book is, etc.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a must-read for everyone. It's a totally amazing book.

Interesting that books morphed into movies. There are some movies-from books that would be on my favorite list, but I didn't like the books, and some books that would be on the list, but I didn't like the movies.

Whimsy said...

My list right now? The scriptures, a Stephen Dunn book of poetry, The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Karp, ...I just finished Solace of Leaving Early (you'll get through it fast - it's lovely, be patient with the heroine, she's insufferable at first), and I want to start about five others.

I don't think it's normal to have only one book you're reading at a time, so Angela, sounds to me like you're PERFECTLY FINE! :o)

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Nope, I'm a loyal reader - one at a time. Maybe that's just all my meager brain can handle; I dunno. My favorite of all time - Put Me In The Zoo, by PD Eastman. For a little more complex sentence structure I love biographies and historical fiction - the best one is The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara. I loved, loved, loved it.