Wednesday, March 10, 2010

birthday creation up for vote

Well, my handsome son is having a birthday in May. It's only March, but I get so excited about these kinds of things. I think this year I might have a party. Not sure yet. But I definitely, at the bare minimum, want to make an awesome cake.

I'm having a hard time deciding. Here are some cakes on the shortlist: what is your vote??

I. Rubber Ducky

Marshmallow knobs, blue Jello, and non-edible duckies! What's not to love?


II. Airplane cake

What son of a Boeing engineer wouldn't love an airplane cake?


III. Animals on a train

I'd make 4-5 "cars," each a different color. And use real Oreos for the wheels, duh!


IV. Farm Cake

This one is my favorite so far; it would make a great party theme, yeah? And look at all that cake to share! Yum! (Plus Wesley's new favorite song is Old MacDonald...)


V. Bulldozer Cake

I had to throw this one in here, since Wesley loves construction equipment. However, I'm not sure I could handle it. I'm pretty sure this is a tough cake to make, and my finished product would look nothing like this.


VI. Easy M&M cake

Lastly, the relatively simply but colorfully exciting chocolate-candy-decorated cake.


Comments? Vote! Or if you think I should consider another cake, feel free to send along a link. Big decisions like this require months of consideration!

And, for those of you keeping track at home, yes, Shane's birthday is next week and I am planning to make some pretty amazing cupcakes for him to take into work. But only a 2-year-old gets an amazing cake like one of these for his birthday. Trust me, I don't think Shane feels left out ;-)

13 comments:

Janelle said...

Well, I love the last cake, because of it's simplicity and the lines that really draw the eyes in, but I really love the bathtub cake. It also looks like it's probably pretty easy to make.

Julia said...

That farm is about the best cake I've ever seen. I vote for that.

Danielle said...

What is Wesley into? That always informs my decision...I love how classy that M&M cake looks (might have to use it) but prob more for a grown-up (Shane, say?) - for the kid, I'm voting for the back-hoe, but just because I'd love to see if you can pull it off. :) Most boys love construction equipment.

KG said...

Farm cake!

Michelle said...

I like the bulldozer one! I think I'm going to make an Elmo cake for my boys. They LOVE Elmo.

Svedi Pie said...

Oh how fun! My first choice is the Farm cake! My second choice would be the train cake.

Rose said...

I usually go with what my kids like for their birthdays. My almost 2-year old is going to have Winnie the Pooh cake toppers... because she's NUTS about Eeyore!

Of the ones listed, I think the bathtub cake is really cute! That's one you wouldn't be able to get away with in later years, but some of the others you could probably use for future birthdays.

Danielle said...

If you decide to do the train, I can give you pointers on creating the engine. :)

Ann said...

Love the ducky one and the farm one. Bulldozer is also awesome, but that seems really hard.

Heidi said...

I really like the the rubber ducky in the bathtub, and the bulldozer! I am sure you could pull that one off! If you need another idea, I am pretty sure he likes school busses since that's all he plays with in nursery!!! One in each hand! So cute!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

I think Maran is getting a bathtub cake for her 2nd bday! Awesome!! I, too, think that the M&M cake is cool but more for an adult. The bulldozer cake looks hard but probably wouldn't be as hard as it looks since the stand-up parts are candy. The cake parts are all very rectangular and the icing is very basic (no faces to paint etc.). I think the farm one looks harder because you have to make those cupcakes look like actual animals. If it were me I'd try the bulldozer and have a construction themed party. Wouldn't they all look so cute in those cheap-o plastic hard hats? And who can beat dirt-based party games? :)

Corey said...

Mmmmm! I love the tractor cake! I'll have to try that one for Jonah. He's nuts about tractors! If you decide on making that one let me know how it goes and if you have any pointers. Personally though I'd pick the cake that best suits his personality or let him pick. That way he'll be super excited about it. Have fun!

isew4fun said...

I love the bathtub/rubber ducky one and the farm one would be cute and would make a good party theme. And since Wesley loves "Old MacDonald had a Farm" it should be a winner. They all look fun!