Wednesday, March 17, 2010

why i love my family, part 2

Today: Shane.
  • Shane and I met ice skating on May 3, 2002. I still remember the day! It was the beginning of a spring term at BYU, and he had just moved into a ward where I had lived for about 2 years. It was an unofficial ward activity where lots of apartments just got together and went to Seven Peaks. I was having fun with old and new friends when I met him. He told me his name, but I instantly forgot it! I didn't remember his name all night. That is really unlike me! There was something about him that intrigued me; maybe it was that his smile made me forget his name!

  • Our first date was to Arby's, and then we saw SpiderMan. Shane was actually pretty embarrassed by this; he wanted to take me somewhere nice, but something happened and we were way late. We didn't have time to sit down and eat and make the movie. For the movie, we sat in the very first row. We actually went with some other friends, which I think also made him mad, because he wanted the date to be "just us," and it wasn't.

  • We were married January 1, 2003 (01-02-03) in the Washington, D.C., Temple. It was cold and snow was on the ground, but it was a wonderful day.

  • Shane is such a smart guy. He thinks about things logically, and he always wants to do what makes sense. He's never swayed by emotions or whims or changes in the weather. It's impressive and frankly, it's a rock in a usually swaying world.

  • Shane and I made a pact when we got married that "cooks don't clean" in our house. I love it! If I cook, he does dishes. If he cooks, I do dishes. It's the best. He also cleans toilets, takes care of kitty's litter box, and takes out the trash and does the recycling. I'm happy to do everything else, because these are icky jobs he does so well! Thanks babe!

  • I know this is silly, but I've always loved Shane's hands and arms. They are so strong. I've always been happy to picture them hugging me and taking care of me and comforting me. He's done much of that over the years.

  • Shane's mom taught me how to cut his hair. I was terrified the first time I did it. It's tough! It's not impossible, but it's tough, and I always freak out about it. But no matter how good (or bad) I do, Shane is always appreciative and I love that.

  • Shane is a homebody, most comfortable lounging at home, although I am a social creature and love to go on adventures! At one point, I made a goal to do one big adventure each month. Shane is a good sport about it, and we always had fun, even if the adventures didn't turn out as planned. We snowshoed in the rain in Snoqualmie, we rode snowmobiles in Leavenworth, we went to museums, we saw the Blue Angels, we did all sorts of things. I love adventures. In fact, next week we're going to Maui and this summer, I want to go camping! I love that he always goes along for the ride, and I don't mind doing the planning!

  • Shane is super smart when it comes to cars. He knows everything about everything! He knows what cars are worth, what features are best, what the latest and greatest makes and models are. Of course, this means he's usually "car shopping" -- always looking for the next addition to our family! -- but at least I know his research is exhaustive. He can also change our oil and rotate our tires and do basically everything. He's good to have around.

  • He has had these pajama pants since before we were married that have fish all over them. I LOVE them. They are his "fishy pants."

  • Shane's family is awesome. His parents are so generous and sweet, and his brothers and sisters love him and love each other. I am so impressed with his family! We have 14 nieces and nephews (I automatically became an aunt to 13 of them when we got married), and the one family reunion we've had so far was just a total blast. I love being a Gottula. They love to laugh.

  • I love going to visit Shane's family in the TriCities because it's a 3.5- to 4-hour drive. Usually drives like that are pretty boring, but I find we have a lot of good talks. There's nothing better than just talking with your best friend.... about life, about struggles and challenges, about goals and wishes and dreams, about politics or religion or current events. All of those things. I love talking to him.

  • Shane is an amazing father. I attribute a lot of it to the fact that he has a supportive work environment, and his boss encouraged him to take as much time as he needed off when Wesley was born. Shane was home with us for four weeks. It was awesome. He changed diapers, he helped with midnight feedings, he played with our little newborn. As Wesley has grown, Shane has continued to play a big part in his life. I love that he is such an attentive dad.

  • Some of Wesley's favorite games, Shane discovered first. Wesley loves being tossed onto the couch and then rolling off -- giggling giggling giggling. Shane discovered that. Wesley loves spinning in the office chair over and over -- giggling giggling giggling. Shane discovered that. Wesley loves stomping in rain puddles in the parking lot -- giggling giggling giggling. Shane discovered that. There are many more. Dads are great to play with.

  • Although things haven't always been perfect in our marriage (whose is perfect??), we constantly work on it. I always find myself wanting to be better when I'm with him. I think that is the sign of a good relationship: when you strive to improve so you can be the very best you can be for that other person. Because he's worth it.
I love you, babe. Happy Birthday to Shane!

1 comment:

Daddio said...

Happy Birthday to Shane! I'll have to remember he was born on St Patrick's Day --- maybe I'll send him an orange shirt to wear? LOL