Monday, March 1, 2010

zoo-mazed

Saturday was fun. For the first time in the 5 years we've lived here, we visited the Woodland Park Zoo. It's the Seattle area's main zoo (although I think there are others). It was huge and fun and exciting! We thought Wesley would love it, and I think we were right. It's a good thing, too, since we bought a year membership! (You kinda have to, to make it worth it... admission is pricey! And the zoo is um, ginormous, so we didn't even get close to seeing everything.)

At first we saw some ho-hum things, and I found myself quoting Jurassic Park, "Um, are you planning to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour?" There was one point where all we had seen so far was the rear end of a zebra.

Then, we saw the hippos! They were sleeping. Shane actually turned to me and said, "Look, they have real hippos here." Yes Shane, I thought, it's a zoo.

It only got better after that! We were super impressed. Some of the things we saw include:


  • A giraffe eating greenery off a fence with his huge black tongue
  • A siamang (primate of some kind) giving another siamang a noogie
  • A male lion hacking up a hairball (or maybe just coughing or chatting with his sweetie girlfriend lion, since then she started hacking, too)
  • An elephant picking up dirt with his nose and then flinging it all over himself
  • Two sloth-bears (yes, you read that right) being introduced by zoo staff, but not taking a liking to each other and making quite the racket to tell us about it

Wesley was a big fan of the waffle fries from the food court, animals that make sudden movements (birds and primates are good for that), and the Zoomazium, of course.

The Zoomazium is like this giant indoor kids play "interpretive" center, where the goal is to experience nature by play. There were chunky plastic "tinker toy" parts where kids could make bugs (a little over Wesley's head, but I made a bug, and the little boy next to me named Ian told me all about his bug), a giant treehouse with slides, stuffed animals, wooden "blocks" that you could build a tree with, and more. It was a fun little place! And seeing how it um, started to rain (welcome to Seattle!), we were glad to have the refuge. (And, I gotta shout-out to myself, since the company I work for did the structural engineering for Zoomazium, so we're pretty cool. Lots of arched wooden beams, baby!)


My favorite animal: the flamingo. Shane's favorite? He liked the tapirs; they are basically mini hippo-ish dudes with anteater noses. We saw one chowing down on a log. They were very social and active, sauntering around and saying "howdy" at the windows to the onlookers. Pretty funny!

My least favorite: the bug exhibit. Tarantulas and cockroaches and beetles, oh my. I can see my little boy loving it though... as he gets older. Heaven forbid.


So there's our report!! We had a wonderful and successful family outing. I loved that we all went to the zoo together, and I can't wait to do it again!

7 comments:

Julia said...

One time I was at the zoo and this woman was standing right in front of the sign that said "TAPIR" and holding up her little boy and pointing at the tapir and saying over and over, really loudly, "ooooh, look at the baby elephant! See the baby elephant?"

Everyone standing there was just staring at her dumbfounded, including some little kids. How she could mistake a tapir for an elephant, I am not sure.

Danielle said...

We heart woodland park zoo. :) I think the flamingos are extra-stinky though. I like the orangutan exhibit the best...and I refuse to go into the bug barn.

angelalois said...

Danielle! You have a new "name!" Fancy. We'll need to meet up one day and wander; like I said, we have a membership now! Did you know in the bug barn there is a spider with NO GLASS??? EEEEEK!

Danielle said...

Yes, Jason has told me all about it. But me? I patiently wait outside on that nice flat rock. :)

Rose said...

Hahaha Angela, I was about to ask you if you saw the spider without the glass!!! Eek is right!

I like seeing the Humboldt penguins. I also think it's a lot of fun to see the sea otters, when they are swimming around in the water!

Heidi said...

It sounds like you guys had tons of fun! I remember taking Sami to the Hogle Zoo in Utah alot when she was little.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

I love the Woodland Park Zoo! Miss it!!! In the summer you'll have to do the pony rides. So much fun! And if you go to a concert there you get to bypass the line outside and line up inside. Sweet. We got some great seats to the Marc Cohn concert that way. And what a great setting for a concert! One thing we did (which is a risk because the list can change and they don't like people doing this so they may have come up with a way to prevent it) is that we bought a pass to one of the zoos that is a reciprocal zoo but has a lower price for the annual pass. I think it was a zoo in Arizona. Once you use it a few times they realize what you did and sometimes can be snippy...but we got half off our zoo membership that way...which is significant for a young family...