Thursday, May 20, 2010

we're in MD!

Blogging is on hiatus as we are visiting with Grandma and Grandpa in Maryland. We're having a bunch of fun.

If you're at all interested in what it was like to take a 5-hour flight in the middle seat with an almost-2-year-old toddler in my lap, here are some hints:
  • he conned the woman next to us out of a peanut butter cookie
  • he threw his toy bus at the other woman next to us many many times
  • he fell asleep on my lap for 2+ hours, at which point my iPod decided not to work until I messed with it so much it finally was scared into submission, and then I could listen to music and play Solitaire on it... since I couldn't reach my bag to get any reading materials, not like I could read with one hand anyway
  • he drank all his water then cried and cried and cried and I hit the call button for the first time in my adult life to get the kid some aqua
  • did I mention my ankle is actually fractured and I am in one of those awful boots? that goes up to my knees? dealing with all this?
He's really a good traveler. I shouldn't complain. It went well. Thank goodness there were no poopy diapers.

THEN, the aircraft had a door jam problem and everyone's bags were stuck. Well, almost everyone. There was a teeny compartment somewhere that had like a half-dozen bags that got out, and all other bags -- including our gate-checked stroller -- were stuck. We thought, oh gee, this is awful, until all of a sudden at baggage claim I caught sight of, what is that?, my bag. It was one of the only ones that got out. The airline gave me a loaner stroller, and they'll keep my stroller until I come back to claim it. Crazy, huh?

Wesley slept until 12 pm the next day, and slept until 11 am the day after that. And this morning he was up bright and early at 6:45 am. Oh geez. He is napping soundly and I think I'll nap too!

More on our adventures to come... we love Grandma and Grandpa!

No comments: