Monday, July 26, 2010

sweet story

I just wanted to post this since I thought it was really sweet. I read it in our local Mukilteo School District newsletter (which I subscribe to with my tax dollars, haha):

Year Ends with a Special Olympics Moment

The two were friends, but also competitors on rival teams at the state championships. Michael Bock is a Special Olympics athlete for the Mariner Marauders who counts the 100-meter dash as his strongest event. Cash Keppel, on the other hand, competes for the Mukilteo Magic and also had his sights set on the 100-meter crown. He even had new shoes for the event and talked all day about earning his first gold medal.

The Special Olympics state track meet was going great. Held in early June at Ft. Lewis, the competitors were having a wonderful time; lots of medals and ribbons were being earned. Then, it came time for the showdown between Bock and Keppel.

Bock immediately showed his strength in the event, getting off to a fast start and taking a comfortable lead. But, only 20 feet from the finish, he stumbled and went down hard, sliding a few feet on the rough track surface. Behind him in second place was Keppel, his gold medal dream suddenly there for the taking only a few more strides away.

That's when the Special Olympics moment happened. Instead of continuing across the finish line, Keppel stopped to help his friend struggle back to his feet and then walked with him across the finish line, after six other runners had already finished ahead of them. The crowd of over a thousand spectators rose to their feet and gave the two Mukilteo athletes a standing ovation.

When it was all over, the coach for the Mariner team told Keppel how proud everybody was for what he had done. He responded with a bewildered look. "He's my friend," he told her. "Why wouldn't I help him?"

---

What a cool story! I'm also happy to support the Special Olympics, and my boss is jumping off a building (the one we work in!) in a couple weeks to benefit that program. Here's more about it and here's her Web site. What a great cause!! This story brought a tear to my eye, so I am happy to support these awesome athletes, who make me want to be a better person.

No comments: