Wednesday, July 14, 2010

vacation recap: june

In June, we went for a weekend to my in-laws' house in the TriCities where the main plan was to sew. I was excited. I got go sew curtains for our rooms!! The best part was that Eileen (my mother in law) had blackout fabric to go on the reverse of the curtains so everyone can sleep in the summer. She had some fabric from like, decades ago, and basically she said I was doing her a favor using it so she could get it out of her house. Haha! When we got home, it took Shane about a week to get the curtain rods up, but now we have curtains!!

I bought the fabric and curtain rods at JoAnn's during a Memorial Day weekend sale, which was a killer deal. I got the rods and rings for like 40% off, and the fabric was something like 50% off, and then I had coupons for more stuff like craft glue and thread.

That was basically it the first weekend in June. Projects! We cut and measured and pinned and sewed. I finished the curtains (four panels, two for our room and two for Wesley's), and I had another secret project which I finished, too (yay!). I'm not an expert seamstress or experienced seamstress or even novice seamstress, but I am interested in it. It just seems like such a good idea to make it yourself when you can. I guess I need the room for a sewing machine (and the corresponding fabric collection) and the patience to learn more.

Anyway, when we finished our projects, we enjoyed the lovely weather. On Sunday, we threw a second birthday party for Wesley (complete with a racecar cake!) for our family, and then we drove home. It was a wonderful whirlwind weekend.

Here are some pics....


Welsey likes to push his own stroller... and when we're on grass like this, it doesn't push straight. So he will go and adjust the wheels so they are straight and then try to push some more. It's so funny! His little brain is just hard at work.


Swinging with dad...


The newest background image on my phone. Coincidentally patriotic, yes?


Wesley opening his cute Scout dog, a birthday gift from Aunt Krista.


And... drumroll....the racecar cake!! Paving the road in mini chocolate chips was my *very good* idea, thank you very much.


We had so much fun!! Thanks Gottulas for hosting us!!

No comments: