Monday, August 27, 2012

summer adventures, part 2: jetty island

No summer is complete without a trip to the beach.




 

 



Ahhh the beach. Hmm. The beach is fun but it is utterly, completely exhausting and lots of trouble. 

For example, I brought kites with me. I needed to assemble them, but I am not smart enough and it was so windy that part of my kite kit (an adhesive part) landed face-down in the sand. There went that idea.

Secondly, I had to hold Laurel at all times. Because when I wasn't looking (twice) she took a fistful of sand/mud and put it in her mouth.

Third, keeping hands clean when giving snacks is impossible. We ate sand-covered cheese sticks and PB&J. I just have to let my concerns about cleanliness and sanitation go, when I'm at the beach.

Fourth, you take a little ferry over to Jetty Island, a man-made island, which means you carry over everything. And since my oldest is four, and not very helpful, and my youngest is zero, you can picture this: me, with baby in the front-pack baby carrier, a diaper bag across the shoulders, a lunch bag, a canvas bag of swimming stuff/towels/sunblock/etc., and a huge mesh bag of sand toys. I am a crazy bag lady, a wide load, and a pack mule.

But, was it totally fun? Yes. Was it exhausting and crazy? Yes. Will we do it again? Absolutely. It's the perfect beach spot for kids. Yes, we can also do the beach at Picnic Point and Brackett's Landing, and we do that also, but there just something more fun about the Jetty Island adventure. Maybe next year we'll brave it on a Saturday and take Dad along. (Saturdays are fun since the kite surfers are out.)

Ahh we love summer. We are lucky we went on a great day, with lots of sun.

More adventures to come.... next up, concerts in the park!

1 comment:

Daddio said...

Gotta love August! The water temps are the warmest at this time of year :)