Wednesday, August 29, 2012

my pinterest endeavors

Ahh Pinterest. I'm in love! I think it's exciting to have a place where ideas overflow. Maybe it's a little too much sometimes -- I spend lots of time browsing, do I spend any time doing?

Today I submit that yes, I make some of the things I find on Pinterest. Here are a few:

Pinterest's version (Wesley):

A "wise choices jar" for the kiddo.

we made this!! yay!! it is working!

I was in love with this idea the second I saw it. We had some reeeeeally hard times with Wesley right after Laurel was born, so I knew I needed this. He was really into Cars at the time, so the decree was that when the "Good Choices Jar" got filled up, he got a Tow Mater of his very own. Awesome. We decided not to take marbles out for bad choices (although that's definitely a nice threat), and some days we added 6 at a time to make up for forgetting to acknowledge good choices. The idea was perfect. I still use it now... he broke his railroad crossing for his wooden train set, so we said when he filled up his Good Choices Jar next time he'll get a new railroad crossing with arms and lights, but we'll see. (He's not as into trains now as he used to be. Sad? Yes.)


(It does have a lid I decorated with scrapbook paper and a ribbon. Great idea. And his hair is much shorter now.)

Pinterest's version (me):

"Motivation marbles" for inspiration.
  

Very cute. I've recently decided I'd like to "lose a Wesley" (~35 pounds!), so I thought I'd made some jars for me. I made them July 4 -- and to date I've moved no marbles. But I am kinda getting sick of lugging around this "Wesley" wherever I go, so I'm going to get serious about this. I'm thinking of swearing to myself I'll eat NO, ZERO Halloween or Christmas candy. Fall is a hard time of year. Caramel apples are OK.


Thanks to Hobby Lobby for the cool jars and sparkly black letter stickers.

Pinterest's version (Laurel):

A "sensory bag" for babies.

DIY Sensory Bag for Baby.. love love love this idea. but Laurel puts everything in her mouth! hmm.

This little bag is hilarious, since it uses hair gel (hahahaha) and random stuff lying around the house plus stuff from the dollar store. A gallon Ziploc bag, some colored duct tape, and you're done! It literally took me minutes. It's really cool.

The gal used squishy frogs, and I really wanted to find some squishy frogs. Alas, not at Dollar Tree. Laurel's has erasers, pom-poms, flat marbles, round and heart beads, confetti, and some craft jewels.



 

 



What do you think? I think, "success!" It remains to be seen how durable the bag is. I'm trying not to let her put it in her mouth. Girlfriend has SIX teeth now. Also, her fingernails are sharp and need trimming. But it feels really cool (literally and figuratively) to the touch, and I hope she enjoys it for some time.

So, thanks Pinterest! I should also say I've made boatloads of food ideas, some great and some complete failures. Plus, if you recall, many of the ideas from our "fun jar" came from Pinterest. ("Fun Jar" has been a huuuuuge hit. Thank goodness for good ideas to do while baby is sleeping on a boring summer afternoon.) I even made myself a Board on Pinterest called, "I Did This!" where I chronicle the results.

I am a doer, not just a browser. And proud of it!

1 comment:

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Good for you! I needed this, too, cause I have a baby shower to go to and I will rock it now with the sensory mat I intend to make with whatever I can snag from the ladies' bedroom floors and my husband's hair gel. Awesome!