Friday, October 3, 2008

firsts to report

Wesley has encountered several "firsts" in the last week or so, which I know you'll find interesting! And if you don't, then my mom and dad are reading and they'll find them interesting:

  • First mom-induced laughter. This was so fun. He was on his back on the floor and I did push-ups on top of him. As my head met his head I made a funny noise and he giggled and squealed and all-around had a fabulous time! Unfortunately, by about 3 minutes I had had it because I'm quite lacking in upper-body strength. But it was the first time I've ever made him laugh, and it was so sweet.

  • First mom-inflicted pain. Yes, poor little guy. Well, I shouldn't say "first" since I don't plan on inflicting more pain on him. But I attempted to graduate from filing the fingernails to clipping the fingernails, but I did a bad job and clipped part of his thumb. Poor little guy and his sad little wail. So I'm back to filing... which takes forever. Any advice on baby-nail trimming?

  • First tears. Baby tear ducts aren't fully developed at birth, and Wesley's have finally "come in" or whatever you'd call it. I think I had to use the bathroom and left him in his crib for 2 minutes and he did not like that. I returned and lo and behold, little tears on his eyelashes. Wow!

  • First splashes. Just briefly in the tub yesterday did he kick his feet and realize he was splashing. I actually think he scared himself.

  • First full day without mom. Yes, I went back to work this week. I had a major freakout in anticipation on Tuesday, then went in Wednesday for a 10-hour day. It was actually awesome. I'm glad I did it. I'm glad it'll work out so I can work part-time one day a week, and Shanester can stay home with Wesley. His transition to four 10-hour days at work hasn't been the easiest, but it'll be so great for our family. And Wesley lived without me.
I desperately want to add "first roll over" to the list but we are waiting waiting waiting for that. Not yet. Boo!

In other Wesley news, we're not starting real food yet. Maybe in a month or so. We do have a high chair. I'm also planning on Baby Signing and I'm gearing up for that, which I can also start in a month or so. (Research says baby signing isn't really effective until they are 5 months old.)

That's all for now. I love that little guy!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I usually clip the fingernails when my baby is asleep. Less fighting that way.

Andrea said...

Jeremy clipped our little girl's finger and made it bleed when she was THREE DAYS OLD. What fun firsts. I found that Brooke didn't really start signing back to me til after she was one. Good luck with the solids when you start that. That's nice that you can work just one day a week when Shane can be home with Wes. Congrats on the temple, that is so exciting!

Grossarths said...

I remember when I cliped Jackson's finger and I think I cried more than he did! What kind of clippers do you use? The only time I clipped his finger was when I was using the "American Red Cross ones that have the "safety" thing attached to it. Now I use the "Safety 1st" ones and I've never had a problem with those. Also, I have to clip his fingernails while I'm nursing Jackson. Not really sure what I'll do once he stops!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

I hate baby nail clipping! My sister (mother of 6) is an absolute pro, though, so I guess you do improve with practice.

Glad things have worked out with work & Shane watching Wesley. Mike & I did that too as best we could. I vividly remember my first full day back at work. Mike's 4 day schedule didn't start until a few weeks after I had to return to work so Autumn Schnitzius watched Emily Lara. I think I will always be grateful for how totally at ease she was (she's so great with babies). I was a basketcase but Emily Lara could not have been in better hands--such a good feeling to have when you are leaving your teeny baby with someone! To tell the truth, it was really nice to work one day a week (while Mike's 4 day schedule lasted). I loved having a lunch hour to run errands unimpeded (and to eat out...yum!). It was my "Mommy's Day Off" :-)