Friday, November 21, 2008

a day in the life of a baby sock

The other day I strapped Wesley in his baby carrier and went shopping at Fred Meyer. Half-way through the frozen foods section I realized we were missing a baby sock. It was one of the black Johnny Trumpette socks, and many of you know they are not cheap (got mine used on eBay), so I raced through the store, retracing every step, breaking a sweat, looking for the sock. I left my cart with the greeter and ventured into the parking lot, fearing the worst. I finally found the sock ... in the car. Yup, it was sitting there in the back seat, grinning at me.

Contrast that with today: I'm at my Friday Moms & Babies Group at Steven's Hospital, which I love, and I notice Wesley is missing a sock. I don't care, because last time I 100% flipped, it was in the car. I expect this one to be in the car, too. (Please note, to date, I have not yet lost a baby sock. My naivete is understandable.)

I'm at my group for something like 2 1/2 hours, just chatting, enjoying some treats, playing with my cute bebe. I wander out to my car, and what do I see on the asphalt in front of me, equidistant from my car and the hospital front door, but Wesley's errant tiny blue baby sock, all crumpled in a little heap. It was in the middle of the parking lot for almost 3 hours. How it managed to stay there, waiting for me, I don't know. But it was there. I can't believe it.

Funny.

I think my boy needs bigger feet. Or I need to be more vigilante about being on baby sock duty. The darn things need their own GPS.

2 comments:

Kurt said...

Put some shoes on him. Kyler was always managing to get his socks off, but when we bought some shoes they helped to keep the socks on. If he takes off the shoe you are much more likely to notice than if he takes off the sock.

Danielle said...

Yes - go get some robeez knock-offs at Target: they are by like baby star or blue star or something like that. They come in a little clear plastic pouchy-thing and they are like leather bootie things. They will change your baby socks' lives. :) This, or get some of those carters socks with the colored cotton elastic bands at the ankles (the old-school kind). They don't come off. I swore by them, all other socks suck. period.