Tuesday, November 18, 2008

it's that time of year again

You may be interested to know that today's celebrity birthdays are Linda Evans from Dynasty, the very famous Owen Wilson, Brenda Vaccaro who I think was in Pretty Woman, and rabber Fabolous, who I don't like not because I've never heard his music, but because he spells "fabulous" wrong.

And me!

Actually, there are more. Every year, as people get more "famous" they make the list of celebrity birthdays, or at least I begin to recognize them, so also celebrating today is Oscar from the Office (very cool!), and Senator Ted Stevens! The felon! Whoo hoo!

And: I like to say today is Mickey Mouse's birthday because Steamboat Willie premiered in 1928.

(Sidenote: Do you guys know the famous people born on your birthdays? I think it is absolutely essential information.)

Now that you have some juicy celebrity trivia, on to the real purpose for my post: to celebrate me! Ha ha ha. Actually, I think it's fun that on our birthdays when we were kids, we'd all gather around in a little huddle and ask mom to tell us our "being born" stories.

So here's mine, as I remember it. Mom, dad, please comment if I get it wrong.

It was a dark and stormy night.

Just kidding.

I think I was born at 3 in the afternoon, in Towson, Maryland, at a nicely petite 6 pounds 6 ounces. Mom told me she had contractions at home and went in, and yay a baby! She said she had me without drugs, which is a WOW, since I have had a child myself and those epidurals are nice. So way to go Mom.

I was going to be named Ryan if I was a boy (I may be making this up; I think mom says she knew I was a girl even though she didn't) and Jessica if I was a girl. But I looked so much like an angel she changed her mind at the last minute.

Cue the awwwwwws.

Now it gets fun.

They were so excited to have a baby, they drove home and left all their luggage at the hospital. Ha ha ha! They had to go back to retrieve it. And, when they got home to their little apartment, there was some kind of ahem, septic problem, and the whole apartment was flooded. So they took their brand new baby over to grandma's, where I spent my first days and nights sleeping peacefully in the bathtub.

Cute little me!

Thanks mom, for going through what you did so I could be born. I like my life. I know how it feels, having a bebe of my own. Thanks dad, for being involved and treating mom good. I owe lots to you guys. It's a day to celebrate! (Some friends say I only enjoy celebrating since I'm not 30 yet. It's probably true.)

In other news, Wesley let me sleep in so that was nice, although his gift to me first thing this morning was a poopy diaper. I made eggs for breakfast. Shane is getting to-go Olive Garden for us for dinner. I get to go grocery shopping (not my idea of a great "birthday" activity, but it must be done). My big gift is an elliptical machine. Last year, my big gift was a papasan chair, and Gabby is the one who sits in it the most. So I joke that Gabby will use the elliptical more than me. We'll see.

Here's to another year.

4 comments:

Daddio said...

Those were the days. The luggage was secondary, our primary concern was our brand new daughter and her safety. We had one of them new-fangled infant baby Love seats. We had to carefully place baby in the love seat, strap her in, and make sure she would be safe for the ride home.

Once baby Angela was all secured in, we got in the car and took off. The luggage was left sitting on the sidewalk, since our most precious cargo was safe with mother and father, nothing else mattered.

Happy birthday dear daughter!

Love from

-Daddio

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Happy birthday, Angela! Very sweet story about your name :-)

Brenda said...

I'd like to clarify that your first bed was a plastic BABY bathtub, not the porcelain one in the bathroom. You slept in the tub on a chair beside the bed in Grandma's basement.

We had a friend that just had a baby girl and named her Angela. I did not care. You were not a Jessica, you were Angela and I know we made the right choice for your name.

You made me a mother. I learned as I went along and you survived the mistakes and growing pains along the way. What a wonderful adventure motherhood is.

I love you snook-pie!!

Janelle said...

Hope you had a great day!

I share a birthday with George Eliot, Heber J. Grant, Charles dr Gaulle, Rodney Dangerfield, Billie Jean King, STeven Van Zandt, Jamie Lee Curtis, Mariel Hemingway, Mark Ruffalo (I didn't know this until just now), Tyler Hilton, and Scarlett Johansson.

I also share my birthday with these deaths: Blackbeard the Pirate, Jack London, Aldous Huxley, JFK, C.S. Lewis (those three all died the same day, same year, incidentally), Mae West (the very day I was born), and Mary Kay Ash.