Saturday, November 1, 2008

name game

I have a friend named Doug. He has always been named Doug. But for some reason, there must be some vibe about him or something, I want to call him Jared. Every single time I see him, I have to stop myself and think before I speak so I call him Doug and don't call him Jared.

How weird is that?

When I was in high school, I had a friend named Aaron. But, he looked like a Tony. He would have been much better named Tony. And in high school, I was a bit more audacious and flirtatious than I am now, and I called my friend Tony and told him I thought he was better named Tony and that was that.

Has this ever happened to you? Am I loony? I am really good with names and faces, so I don't usually forget or call someone the wrong name by mistake. I know what your name is. But with these guys, they just look like they should be named something else! It's wild!

I just got to thinking about this phenomenon since Doug is moving to Utah. Bon voyage, Doug. I'm grateful I made it through all of our conversations without calling you Jared.

2 comments:

Marianne Hales Harding said...

I have experienced that as well. I guess some folks are not as talented at naming their babies as we are! :-)

Heidi said...

No you are not loony! Ever since I was 16 people have called me Wendy! I don't know why! At safeway when we were filling out the rewards card we double checked to make sure our last name was spelled right. It was but they always say thanks Mrs Wendy! They must have typed it in the computer that way. One of the girls from Sami's gs troop mom was one of the first people we met here and she still calls me Wendy. When people call me on the phone they ask for Wendy!! My name is not Wendy!!!!! Maybe I really do look like a Wendy. Who knows!