Saturday, October 17, 2009

super saturday

OK okokokokok you know, I've never posted twice on the same day, but I'm going to today. Since I'm really not in that bad of a mood! I did something super exciting this morning!! And I totally want to tell you all about it. (I'm happy and positive!)

It was Super Saturday at Church; if you don't know what that is, then you're missing out! It's basically a huge craft day. The people in charge pick the crafts ahead of time, then you sign up for what you want to do. I saw this craft as a gift at a baby shower, and we begged the gal who made it to do a class. She modified it a bit, but overall it's SO AWESOME and I LOVE IT and I'm SUPER EXCITED about it.

It's a Jesus Book for children. I've actually wanted to do something like this since I read about this awesome project Stacey did. (I may even still make one of those one of these days.) Anyway, for my project, I had to pick up my own pack of 12 Jesus pictures, and the gal doing the class got us the paper and book.


(That's my cover.)

The sample books she made had a lot of flowers and pink in the paper, so I requested in the hall at Church one day that if she found some blue, I'd love that even better (my son is a boy after all). A couple weeks later, she told me she found me so blue, and boy was I thrilled. I was even more thrilled when it was all in front of me and I got to work on it.

It was no ordinary project! I had 12 Jesus images, 9 Jesus "titles," 12 "printed" papers, and 6 "accent" papers. It was a matter of mixing and matching what title went with what image, what image went best with what print, what accent went best with the image and the print. Then, I had to design each of my pages: where does the title go? Where do the accent strips go? Where does the image go? Vertical or horizontal? In the end, it turned out just so cool.


This is the first page... the colors just go so well together! Here are a few of my other pages...


See, check out how cool this is. The paper, although blue, had some weird yellow-goldish stuff going on in the corners, which totally went with the sunset background on the image. Awesome.


You can't see it so well, but Jesus is holding a teeny little purple butterfly in this image. I love how the background paper has all those colors, and the three strips kind of bring out the colors of the garden in the image, especially the red.


The red is the money strip here too; you can't really see, but the little boy is holding a twig of berries that are red, so that strip helps the berries to pop out. The colors match and augment each other so well.


This one is hilarious because it's probably my most favorite picture of Jesus (him feeding the little birds), yet the printed paper in the background is the weirdest -- it is a bunch of blue elephants! But when I put it all together, it just looked so awesome. The two accents colors are fabulous.


She provided scriptures that went opposite each of the images. I can't wait to bring this to Church for Wesley to see tomorrow and forever. Have I mentioned how I'm counting down the seconds until he goes into Nursery Thanksgiving weekend? Right now I have to entertain him for 3 hours of Church. After Thanksgiving, I entertain him for one hour and then ship him off to the nursery. You guys have fun with him! He's a handful. I just love him.

Dang, I had such fun doing this. It really made me think artistically for an hour or two! It felt good to make such a cool book about such an amazing subject for such a sweet little boy. Yay for Super Saturdays and Jesus and baby Wesley!

2 comments:

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Wow! Great project! Love it, Angela. Good job.

~Aimee~ said...

That looks awesome! I need to make something like that for Jilly for church. She needs more spiritual things than "Dora Under The Sea" to play with at church. ;-)