Sunday, October 4, 2009

trying something a little bit different

Friends, October is going to be a wild and crazy month for the Gottula home. Let me preface with a quick recap of my professional life as of late:

I am a part-timer (former full-timer) at my firm. I am in the office Fridays only, and I log on at home when I can. My department includes my boss, one full-timer, and another part-timer. Well. The full-timer quit, the other part-timer is starting art school and is cutting her hours even more, and my boss is going crazy. She finally hired another person, who started 5 minutes ago, so....

I decided to offer my services to come into work full-time for October!

So, starting tomorrow morning, bright and early, I am taking Wesley to a friend's, and she'll watch him for four days, for four weeks, and Shane will watch him on Fridays. I'm dressing up, taking the bus, getting hot chocolate at Seattle's Best Coffee (truly the best!), walking on my lunch break, clocking my time, going to meetings, etc.! I'm a downtown working woman again for four whole weeks.

How do I feel? Equal parts nervous, scared, excited:
  • Nervous about leaving Wesley for so long. I'm not nervous about working, since working is like getting back on a bike -- it all comes back so easily. No, I'm not nervous about working. I'm nervous about how he will adjust to the schedule and being with someone else.Will he miss me? Will he not miss me?
  • Scared about how it will feel to be away from him so much. Even now, when I work just one day a week, sometimes I physically ache for him. I just miss the smell of his hair or the sparkle in his eye or the feel of his hug. He is part of me, I love him! He's also at the cusp of talking, and I'm scared I'm going to miss like 20 vocabulary words developing in four weeks. It's totally doubtful that will happen, but it's a possibility!
  • Excited to get to work and have fun with my friends! Excited to do some good for my company, excited to get to know the new guy, excited to jump on the bandwagon and enjoy the "good ole days" for awhile. I really love my job. I'm one lucky girl; I have fun, I get involved, I take it seriously, I enjoy myself.
Plus, who knows, I guess I like to feel needed! And if ever they needed me, it's now. So the goal is to get the new guy up to speed, then I can go back to playgroups and baby story time at the library and Mom & Me movies and the Alderwood Mall indoor playground (and sleeping in).

It's just four weeks, right? Here goes!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

It is just for 4 weeks so just try to take it one week at a time! I am sorry i couldn't help you out with Wesley. I wanted to but I am glad he is going to someone fantastic! Have fun at work!

Ann said...

Wow! I think it's kinda cool you can go back to work for just a month. It's nice to spice things up a bit. Have fun!

Svedi Pie said...

Hey, I was wondering how you were doing the work and mom thing. It's awesome that you're able to work from home (for the most part). It stinks that you'll be away from you're little guy for this month, but it is nice to feel needed, and nice to go back to a place you love.

How does the whole working from home thing work for you? With my job I might be able to work from home as well when we have kids (not anytime too soon, but since I know it's an option I've been thinking it over). I worry that either I'll be too distracted by kidlets that I won't be able to work, or that I'll still be too busy with work to play and take care of the little ones. How does it work out for you?

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

So wait, you only said it is a firm. What do you do? Excited for you. At least it's a little extra money for Christmas...