Tuesday, May 20, 2008

one of these things just doesn't belong

Do you guys ever get freaked out when you see someone in a place you don't normally see them? Where they don't fit, in your mind?

For example:
  • A guy from the bus walking on 4th Avenue. I only see him on the bus. And there he was, not on the bus. Very strange.

  • A girl from the gym walking on 3rd Avenue. I see this girl ALL the time -- on the treadmill, in the locker room, at the water fountain. But on 3rd Avenue? I did a double take then shuddered.

  • Another guy from the gym who happens to work in my building. I'm on the elevator, just staring at him. Finally I get up the nerve, "do you work out at 24-hour Fitness?" and he says, "you sure do look familiar." Now I call him my "gym buddy." He works on the 30th floor. I'm very proud of myself for making the connection.

  • A guy from my business finance class at BYU at the bus stop on 6th and Olive. I didn't even know he lived in Seattle.

  • A guy from work at the Safeway. Now THAT was weird. All I could say was, "Gatorade for 88 cents... now that's a great deal!"
I remember back when I was a giddy BYU co-ed I had this problem -- kind of -- every summer and fall. During the summer, I'd be somewhere like Ocean City, Maryland, or working at the Olive Garden (which I have mentioned before is the most awesomest job ever), and I'd see someone and say to myself "no way! Dave from Comms 201!" or "it's the guy from my intramural Frisbee team!"

But, interestingly enough, it was just my mind playing tricks on me. They WEREN'T the same person. I guess my problems are getting worse, since the bulleted instances above ARE the same people, and I have to reconcile that in my head, collect myself, and move on.

I wonder what I would do if I saw someone FAMOUS on the street? Brad Pitt in the Seattle Library? "Now wait a sec... he belongs in a movie! Or a tabloid! Not at a library!" I'd flip.

But, to finish the BYU-mistaken-identity story, I'd go back to school in the fall, and have the SAME problem. I'd see people all over campus (32,000+ students, I think, at the time), and I'd be convinced I knew them from high school or 6th grade Girl Scouts or the dealership where I bought my car. It was never the case.

Which makes me wonder if we all do have a twin somewhere. And I keep running into yours on the streets of Seattle. Or maybe it's you. Oh geez, who knows.

11 comments:

Ann said...

You make me laugh so much. It is pretty weird seeing people out of context. When I was in the 2nd grade I saw my 1st grade school teacher at the mall. I didn't know they went to those kinds of places... I am still weirded out.

Unknown said...

I have totally thought that before. Just not in so much detailed. i saw my OBGYN at a track meet once. I felt kind of exposed. Ya know? Weird.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

It's really me. My super power is moving at the speed of light so I can be several places at once.

Seriously, it is weird to see people "out of their place." The strangest one for me was seeing people I worked with at the temple in regular clothes out in the world shopping for toothpaste or something. The grocery store can really take the celestial shine off of someone! :-)

Rose said...

I've always wondered that too! But so far, I don't think I've been mistaken for anyone else...

Chelle said...

It's all about worlds colliding. A few years back, I found myself doing a bank transaction for an old HS schoolmate while I was working at WaMu. It's just a weird sensation when something from one facet of your life suddenly appears in another, usually in an unexpected way. It throws off the natural balance of things... and that's just not acceptable!

Chelle said...

At BYU I got the comment, "You look exactly like my best friend/roommate/sister/cousin..." all the time. It was odd to think that there was an army of Me look-alikes running around the world. What do you do if you run into one of them? - yikes!

Stacey said...

I always feel awkward when I see people in places that I shouldn't normally see them.

When I was at Ricks, I was walking to a dance club with my roommates when some guys pulled over and asked if we wanted a ride. Being the dumb girls we are, we said sure. Then the guy from the passenger seat turned around and said "You're Stacey Aston! I was in your 1st grade class." So that pretty much ruined my life that a guy would recognize me from 1st grade. Why do I do my hair or makeup again if I don't look any different from when I was 6?

jeff said...

I thought it was cool that you kept seeing my twin in Seattle, until I found out you see everybody's twin.

angelalois said...

but jeff, in my defense of your specialness, you were the FIRST Seattle twin I discovered. that really means something.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Oh, yeah, the craziest sighting I have ever had was in Seattle. A tourist started singing with one of the street bands by Pike's Market...he looked familiar...and then I realized he was one my regular customers when I was a bank teller in Orem, Utah! Small world!

momnmb said...

Imagine moving 15 times and experiencing htat over and over! That's me! Didn't you live in California? Oops...