Tuesday, May 27, 2008

memorial day shocker

Happy Memorial Day. I thought I woke up with a bad case of food poisoning or something. After complaining every 2 minutes for an hour or more, Shane figured out I was in labor. "Whatever!" I said. Even as we parked the car at the hospital, and I could barely talk or walk, I was convinced it was nothing and they'd send me home. Seven hours later, I had a little baby in my arms.




Wesley Grant Gottula (whose name wasn't decided until a good four hours after his birth) was born at 8:30 pm May 26, 2008. He clocked in at 6 pounds 12 ounces, 19 inches tall. Well, he may have been taller. The nurse couldn't get his leg stretched out so she just went with 19 inches.

He's so stinking cute. He has blond hair like his dad, and he can sleep through a hurricane like his mom. Let's hope that continues!

Fun pieces of trivia for the day:

  • Cats are quite perceptive. Gabby always knows when something is up, particularly when we pack a bag or bags. She gets whiny and sits by the front door, like she's blocking us from leaving. However, when Shane fills like 3 bowls of food for her, she suddenly doesn't mind us leaving. Such is the life of a fat cat.

  • I got an epidural not too long after I got to the hospital, and it felt great. We watched a movie, The Golden Compass, and blew through two hours of "labor" that way. Man, it was easy!

  • I don't recommend Arby's roast beef sandwiches as an after-having-a-baby meal. I like 'em under normal circmstances. But you'd think to celebrate, we could have done better. It was the only place open when we figured out we were starving at 11 pm. Interestingly, as I've mentioned before, Shane and I had Arby's on our first date, so I suppose it's appropriate in a nostalgic way.

  • We were considering naming the little guy Wesley Clark. However, after a Wikipedia peruse, it turns out Wesley Clark was a decorated war hero who ran for president as a Democrat in 2004. I guess we didn't want to go through the whole "yes we knew, and we still named him that" every time someone brought it up. Grant is also a good, presidential name. In honor of Memorial Day.

  • Don't forget to bring your cell phone charger to the hospital. Or, if you have two cell phones and cell phone chargers, make sure you bring a phone and charger that match. Just some advice. We have experience in this.
That's all for now. I need some sleep. Welcome Wesley.

16 comments:

Rose said...

Yay! Welcome to the world baby Wesley! :D

Corey said...

You are the true blogger to be posting on the day your baby is born! Way to go! I had to laugh about the cell phone charges...we did the same thing. It's just so hard to remember everything and think straight when rushing to the hospital. Congratulations and we hope all is going well for you guys!

wandering nana said...

I agree with Corey. You sent an email out and now blogging. You're wonder woman. Congrats and what a cute name.

Ann said...

Congrats Angela.

Megan said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see more pictures... welcome to the Motherhood!

Julia said...

Yay! Congrats! I want to see more pics!

Chelle said...

Congratulations - it sounds like you had a cake walk of a labor - lucky you! I just can't believe that you already had time to do a post... you never cease to amaze me. You rock! Oh, I just can't wait to see the bouncing baby Wesley in person. :)

With all of this blathering, I just had the thought - do you guys need (want) any dinners brought in... or treats?

Unknown said...

Your a MOMMY. It brings tears to my eyes! Cell phones. Ahh yes memories. congrats girl you are going to be an awesome mom.

Danielle said...

I am so excited for you guys and it sounds like you won't be one of those ladies sitting around telling labor horror stories (I have one, but I try not to tell it too often) which is SO great. Love the name. Glad you posted a picture. And go you for blogging. Had I thought to start a blog early enough, I think I would have come home and immediately blogged too. :) Woohoo for baby boys! Love 'em.

angelalois said...

you guys really give me a lot of credit! I actually just got home from the hospital. Brilliant Shane thought to bring the laptop, and the awesome place had wireless Internet. So, little guy would sleep and of course I'm high on life, so what did I do? Blog and write emails! But I do feel great and am very fortunate not to have any horror stories. he's a little angel!

Stacey said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything is going so well.

Danielle said...

You know, I was thinking more about your Arbys comment. I actually had a somewhat similar experience twice while in the hospital. Nathan was born early in the morning, so my first meal was breakfast BUT for lunch I desperately wanted the hospital's French dip. I had been craving french dip most of my pregnancy but was afraid to eat it due to the whole lysteria thing. It was disappointing to say the least, but took care of that craving. I also wanted mexican from this place around the corner and so Jason ran and got it (it had been my biggest aversion during pregnancy) - also disappointing. However - my first spoonful of Ben & Jerry's ice cream (couldnt' eat ice cream while pregnant) tasted SOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Tamara said...

Congratulations, Angela & Shane. We are all excited to see pictures of your new little addition. I remembered my cell phone charger, however, by the time Chris & baby Luke left the hospital, they had to bring in a cart to haul all of the stuff Chris packed in every night....blankets, pillows, totally random stuff he never used. It was crazy.

momnmb said...

Wow! Go Angela, Shane and Wesley! I can't wait to meet my nephew! He's soooooooooo cute! (At the moment- cuter than my kids!) You just can't beat the experience of holding a newborn baby....

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to meet the new wonder of our family. We are all so happy for all of you. We love you and will be in touch soon.

PS. I can't believe that Shane is a Dad.... Weird...

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Congratulations! Got your email and it has sat in my inbox ever since, waiting for me to reply. Beautiful baby! Glad you had a good time of it...I looooove epidurals. Drugs are so wonderful. I'll have to remember my cell phone charger this next time. I didn't actually own a cell phone when Emily Lara was born and now I have one on me at all times. But with Emily Lara we were in the hospital for such a short time that I don't think I opened my carefully packed bag ONCE. Hmmm.