Saturday, May 3, 2008

when a love of soccer spans species

OK, I read the absolute most HILARIOUS thing in the Seattle Times today, and it turns out there is a video that goes along with it (35 seconds of your life not wasted, I promise!)....

Train your fish to bend it like Beckham
By Newsday and Seattle Times staff



Nobody bats an eye when a dolphin jumps through a hoop. But a molly?

The R2 Fish School is a training system that gives you the goods to train fish from 1 to 6 inches long to go through tunnels, do the limbo, even fetch. It was developed by fish-training expert Dean Pomerleau, whose goldfish, the aptly named Albert Einstein, has mastered several tricks.

Included in the kit are an instructional DVD, training platform and 20 accessories, like a feeding wand and basketball hoop.

HAhahahahahaa! Isn't this GREAT!? I'm reminded of the part in the movie In Good Company when Topher Grace's character is talking to his fish, saying "here boy, here boy!" Well, now we know, you can train a fish! I love it.

I'm a big fan of our fishies. We've got a tankful of tetras. We have 6 at the moment, but we've had up to 12, I think. They're hilarious! There are some that are gung-ho about feeding time (similar to my obese cat), some that just chase around their friends all day, some that lounge at the bottom of the tank. I really think the little guys have personalities. When we have a big one, we give it a name, like Pisces or Aquarius. Something appropriate, of course.

The funniest thing happened a month or so ago. We recently took off the lid of the fish tank so we could reorient it on our kitchen bar-top, and we just left it open. It's a nice, open, acquatic feel. Well, this one particular night, Shane was at the sink doing something... and one of our fish dive-bombed him! Totally jumped out of the tank, whacked him in the face, then fell into the sink! Thank goodness Shane was able to retrieve him and put him back in his home... it was weird, a little scary, and a lot funny. The fish is still alive, and hasn't tried anymore "tricks" so we're grateful.

But besides the humor, I think the reason our fish mean the most to me is that we actually consider them a stepping-stone to parenthood. We got a plant first, then some fish, then a cat. With the exception of the plant (which met its demise not because of any negligence on the part of me or Shane but because of outside toddler-like forces), the fish and cat are still living. They have definitely built up our confidence.

Plus, they're so relaxing. I love 'em. Here's one of my artistic fishie pictures... also documenting a day of sun in Seattle:



I'm reminded of the part in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective where the guy with the funny accent says he loves to watch the fish, "they just svim and svim."



And, evidently, play soccer. HA!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. that's all I can say. wow.

Rose said...

I love the "No Fishing" sign in the tank! Hahaha!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

You were right. 35 seconds not wasted! Hilarious!!!

angelalois said...

thanks guys! I love them fishies!