Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the pile grows

Just wanted to let everyone know, that as of right now (this very second), I have seven, yes seven, Sunday papers dating back to November 11, 2007, sitting around waiting to be read by me. Am I weird? Would anyone else just give up on an old unread paper and recycle it? Not me.

First off, I see a paper as money ($$$). I paid for the paper. It was delivered to my door. Not reading it would be the same as not eating a pizza delivered to my door. Right?

Secondly, when I have gotten behind in paper reading, and I finally get around to reading, I am usually so enlightened. In fact, I can almost guarantee that I’ll read about someone I know, or maybe the Church or my company or my exact neighborhood or my hometown or some family member. (Yes, although none of my family members live around here, the chances of them being in my unread Seattle Times exponentially increase as my unread Seattle Times ages.)

I guess I’m intimidated by Sunday papers. They’re huge! Sections A-J, with all sorts of long articles. I remember when I lived in Simi Valley, California, that I considered getting the Los Angeles Times, but bought one and read it and it took me like 2 hours to get through. I just couldn’t commit to that every day (so I ended up subscribing to the local Ventura County paper, a very cool paper). I’m a quick-read kinda gal. Hence the problems getting around to the Sunday papers.

So my pledge to you is this: I’ll report back when all seven get read. Currently, five of them are under my back table at work, waiting to be read on my lunch break. I’m always so busy on my lunch break, but I’ve got to make them a priority and get them read before my little life-altering experience next month takes me away from the office.

Well, I’m going to wrap up this blog and read Sunday’s paper. I'll probably read about one of you. In fact, I'm sure of it.

8 comments:

wandering nana said...

I loved this post. This is why I quit taking the paper and only do Sundays...Oh the pressure. ALSO.... another reason is because when M and I did an Inner City Mission, we were assigned to a little cute old lady that wouldn't get rid of anything until she read it, looked at it or was waiting to see if someone might need it. She took things into her house and it never left, after 35yrs she had a 15" path from her front door to the back door. We could only see her fridge in the Kitchen. Hurry and read those papers and get them outathere. "D

Unknown said...

good luck.

Unknown said...

i meant that in a happy positive way. just in case you were wondering.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

Yeah, this is why I don't take the paper. Remember that time is as valuable as newsprint! More valuable, actually!

Kurt said...

Call me an uninformed ignorant person, but all of the news I ever get is listening to the news radio reports on the way to and from work (I live about 5-7 minutes from my work). On the days I bike I just miss everything. Oh well.

Daddio said...

Just like yo momma.

Rose said...

I say just get rid of them! But if you want to hang onto them, it'll give you something to read while breastfeeding.

angelalois said...

I know, just like my mom. Well guess what kids, 2 of the 7 are read! yay!