Wednesday, March 12, 2008

lights, camera, action!

Juicy Seattle gossip!!! Someone I work with today told me that they are filming a movie in downtown Seattle. I am so excited! Maybe I'll wander down to the set tomorrow. Anyway, the movie is called "Traveling" and it stars Aaron Eckhart (whom I love!), Jennifer Aniston, and Martin Sheen.

Word on the street is that Aaron Eckhart is in town (coooool) but Jennifer Aniston isn't and they are using a "body double" for her parts. Whatev-a. Anyway, they are filming in Pioneer Square and at Post Alley at Pike Place Market. The guy at work said they had like "irrigation" systems set up or something in Pioneer Square since they wanted it to rain in the scene and lo-and-behold, it currently is not raining in Seattle. (What, does everyone think it rains here all the time??)

Very cool.

When me and the Shanester lived in Simi Valley, California (very cool surburbia), I had to go to Santa Monica for something and it was our first time, so of course we had to check out the pier, you know, the "famous pier" with the ferris wheel that is in all the movies. It was seriously 6 in the morning, because we didn't know how bad traffic would be and my appointment was at 8 a.m. So, 6 in the morning, we want to walk the pier -- and a movie is being filmed!

They have people posted all around the perimeter for inquiring minds, so some gal about 26 or 27 told us all about the movie and the stars (probably the same story for my friend who happened upon the star scene today). It was "Cellular" with Kim Basinger and William H. Macy. (Note: we did rent the movie after it came on DVD and it was OK... nothing to write home about. Moving on.) We saw no stars; it was a beach scene with "extras." But, it was pretty interesting. People just stood in spot -- the ENTIRE thing was choreographed -- and then when someone yelled "action," they all walked in a predetermined line for oh, a minute, then the same someone yelled "cut," and they went back to where they started. Every once in awhile they'd let us passers by walk through to wherever it was we needed to go.

That was about it. From my perspective, shooting a movie was kind of boring. I remember a couple years ago, John Corbett, the groom in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," announced he was retiring from acting because it was so boring. He said you'd shoot for 5 minutes, sit around for 5 minutes while the director decided what color some actor's shirt should be, then shoot for 5 more minutes, then sit around more. I thought it was fascinating, but I saw it for myself!

But alas, Hollywood, fascinates us. If I could catch a glimpse of Aaron Eckhart, how cool would THAT BE!

Also, he's Mormon. Maybe not active, but he is. Wikipedia says so... and I believe EVERYTHING I read on Wikipedia.

5 comments:

nomadicspud said...

I heard about it on the news tonight. The making of films is so fascinating. Heath played a tiny part in an independant film (a few film makers from the testament) a few years ago. It was a 5 word sentance. It took 3 days to film it because they had so many delays. He got to see all the people it takes to make a film. It made my head spin just to hear him describe it. There is one person who's only job is to watch for consistancy (ie. everything is in the exact same place for every shot). He now has to pick apart every movie and see how that person didn't do their job. How annoying!!! Hope you catch up to movie filming and see some action!!

wandering nana said...

When I owned my store they decided to film the TV movie about Ted Bundy and they filmed in SLC and one of the scenes they decided to use our store. Mark Harmon played Ted... They paid us $500 for the day as they blocked off the area. It was in February and cold. Mark (as I like to call him) came in from the cold and spent about an hour in our store. He even bought something and was so nice. They parked cars in front from the time of Ted and the actors who walked by the store were all dressed in that period of dress. They even came in and used sacks from our store for some of the actors to carry. They filmed the kidnapping of a girl behind the building. They had big lights and a huge reflecting scene. It was really interesting. The best part was meeting Mark Harmon who is really a nice guy, even though he played a creepy guy.

angelalois said...

hey nomadicspud! I almost couldn't figure out who you were and thought you were talking about Heath Ledger! Yeah, Hollywood is hilarious. thanks for the comments!

Danielle said...

Well, I'm just glad they're actually filming IN Seattle. I hate it when they try to pass Vancouver off as Seattle. The two cities don't even look anything alike.

Marianne Hales Harding said...

How fun! And, to answer your question, Aaron Eckhart is indeed Mormon (I think a BYU alum?) but I seem to remember reading that he isn't really practicing anymore. Also former Mormons (I just found out): Amy Adams & Katherine Heigl.