Saturday, March 15, 2008

mad mad mad

OK, totally mad at the auto loan people right now.

I'm such a good organizer, putting our bills in order and paying them off as the time comes. But for some reason the auto loan (due TOMORROW, on a SUNDAY) got stuffed in the back and ignored. And we happen upon it today and need to pay it. All the mail places are closed, so maybe we can pay by phone or online.

We go through the hassle of creating an online account... I hate creating online accounts, because it's just another place that has your info and another password to remember. And they tell us the fee is $10. Whatever, we need to pay it. I go through the whole process, typing in my account numbers, etc., to pay the bill, and the system is unavailable. What does that mean?? I do it again. No dice. I do it a THIRD time, STILL UNAVAILABLE.

I try calling customer service. Their hours are only until 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, so no one is there. They're all merrily enjoying the evening with their families and friends, probably ordering dessert at the Olive Garden and planning their St. Patrick's Day parties. And I'm super stressed trying to pay my stupid bill.

Fine, I call the automated PHONE system and try to pay there, where the fee is an even heftier $14. I'm desperate. I go through the huge hassle there, listening to the automated menu patiently, hitting "1" then hitting "2" then trying not to swear, as THEIR SYSTEM IS UNAVAILABLE, TOO.

So the point is, there is no way, no how, no conceivable option for me to pay this bill today, on time. A part of me suspects the powers-that-be "shut off" their system every weekend, or whenever they feel like it, just so finance charges accrue on customers' accounts and our credit scores go down. I am completely powerless right now.

Here's praying the bills never get jumbled again. I need to lay down.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Most places don't tack on finance charges until your account is at least a few days past due. Some places it's 3 days, some places it's 10... some places it's longer.

I think it only affects your credit score if it's 30 days past due.

So... you can probably pay your bill on Monday or Tuesday without worrying about any sort of finance charges or effects on your credit!

Tamara said...

I hate bills. Last year Chris and I were on vacation and I dutifully paid our bills a little early since we would be gone. Well, when we got back we had a phone call telling us we were late with our payment. I sent it off...I remember!! After about a week, that check never cleared so we could only assume it was lost in the mail. Not wanting to go through that again, I've gone paperless so our car loan is an automatic payment. Now, I just need to remember to write it down in the checkbook every 13th of the month.

Daddio said...

Oh my dear daughter of mine!! Tsk, tsk. Recurring payments such as car loans should always be set up as automatic debits through a bill-pay service. Even things like credit cards can have at least a token (minimum) payment automatically paid, to avoid those nasty late fees that the banks are more than eager to assess. Even if you are only one day late.

As you have discovered, many places like to charge a "convenience fee" to make instant payments on your behalf. Those are things to avoid, if possible.

Many banks now offer free bill-pay services along with their checking accounts.

We have saved oodles of ca$h on check writing and postage since we began using the bill pay services of the bank. Let them pay the postage!

angelalois said...

thanks guys for your well wishes. Shanester paid the bill today (alas, I tried to avoid the Sunday payment), so I feel better but not fabulous. there's an air of non-trust in our home for online payments... for a number of reasons. we're usually so so good, so it's a non-issue! but "lost in the mail" is always a possibility.

Chelle said...

Forgetting to pay a bill is one of the worst, most sickening feelings. The automated payment & bank bill-pay suggestions are both good, though we have not yet adopted those ideas yet. We still do the check and stamp for most of our bills. It sounds like you and Shane have it under control, but I'm sorry to hear you had a stressful weekend. Take care!